18. - Come and Sit with Me (Pt. II)

Start bij het begin

"You and your flattery."

I quickly defend Quinlan. "But seriously. You crushed it. Both the speech and the game."

Tyson's grin widens, and he gives me a friendly clap on the back, causing my fur to stand on end. "Thanks, Sam. It... means a lot, coming from you."

Recently, Tyson and I have been growing closer. Sometimes literally. It's no secret that his affectionate nature isn't exclusive to anyone; he's like that with his friends. Patting, tousling, holding... Initially, I attributed my heightened sensitivity to missing my former best friend, assuming the tingling sensation whenever Tyson's claw grazed me would diminish over time.

But now the Spring Game has officially concluded, that peculiar sensation still exists. And I keep asking myself: what's happening to me?

"Well... Some of us are actually thinking about grabbing some tacos after this. You guys wanna, um... tag along?"

The big-boned dragon's face beams upon the mention of tacos. "I could definitely go for some tacos tonight. What about you, Sam?"

Since I'm not opposed, around 8 PM, we arrive at a teeming but small taco bar. Ordering the same items and letting Tobias handle the bill, the table soon fills with laughter and camaraderie as the group indulges in lively banter. Amidst their jokes and anecdotes to which I mostly offer feigned chuckles and shy nods, our orders are served.

Grabbing my plate, I savor the aroma of sizzling meat mingled with fragrant spices, admiring the golden-brown shell that cradles its contents. Succumbing to temptation, I take a bite. It may not be the pinnacle of taco perfection, but damn, it hits the spot. And all for seven bucks?

Tonight marks my debut with Tyson's football crew, and it's a refreshing change from the ones I had to deal with back in high school. While Tobias was my only acquaintance beforehand, surprisingly, some of Tyson's football mates prove to be amiable, not to mention many are my type. And it's not just their... striking physique, but also their character.

Take James, the seemingly rugged Alaskan Malamute of the group — he may look like a brawler, but he's very friendly, constantly asking me with genuine curiosity. Accompanying him are Marcus (the otter), Leandro (the lion), Oscar (the panda), and Altan (the striped hyena), bringing the football roster to six, with Quinlan and me rounding out the outsiders.

Dinner wraps up fairly quickly, yet the chatter persists. They cover football, girls, dark jokes, then back to football, then gossip about a cantankerous professor and a problematic teammate, before veering into life discussions. I chime in sparingly, finding myself more intrigued by my surroundings than the dialogue. Despite their attempts to include me, they soon drift back into their own world of banter. Not that I mind, truth be told.

Then, Leandro throws out a question about Tobias's relationship status that instantly catches my attention.

"How're things with your boyfriend, by the way?" Leandro takes a sip of his coke, his gaze fixed on Tobias.

"You mean my situationship?"

Tobias has a boyfriend...?

"However you want to call it. How's it going?"

"Well... I kinda fucked him in the ass three days ago, so..." Tobias replies casually.

Tyson winces from across the table. The others too. "Dude, keep it PG!"

"Don't act all innocent, Ty, you've fucked girls too," Tobias fires back. And for some reason, his words make my throat tighten.

Glaring, Tyson kicks Tobias's foot under the table, his face contorting into annoyance. "We're in public, asshat! Curb the language!"