Chapter 12: The Corner Room

As the latter half of October passed, the morning layer of snow lingered longer. Thicker clothes were slowly becoming the norm, alongside thicker shoes and the occasional pair of boots.

Many in the C group reminisced of the events that had taken place last Friday in that odd arena, it was an unexpected victory, a victory for the common folk. It spread like wildfire in the halls of Thermadore as the C group informed everyone whenever the situation arose. There was no other fall physical like it many claimed, not from that week, nor from physicals past. Of course a story is not fit without its heroes.

As Betty and her friends briefly heard of this supposed legendary battle of the common folk and elementa players, it came to no surprise that eyes laid specifically on her and Gabrielle, being two out of the three champions of the game.

"She's the one who saved us" Betty replied to a question concerning the last couple minutes of the match.

"I heard you conjured up a fireball," a girl said while staring at Gabrielle.

"I don't know what I conjured, but it was bright." Gabrielle responded.

"Sounds like a fireball to me, " the girl said.

Betty didn't mind the positive attention, especially since not weeks ago it was originally unwanted suspicion, though as her face became familiar, some remembered.

"Aren't you that girl that blasted that wall?"

"I was trying to hit- oh, who am I kidding, won't believe me!" Betty pulled her friends away as they continued by the hall from the boy that approached them.

As Halloween approached, the school embraced the festive tradition. Streams of yellow and orange laid high above them, resembling Halloween themed disorganized cobwebs. Swarms of bats screeched and flapped their wings while roaming the high ceilings. Then there were the large cauldrons laid randomly through the halls filled to the brim with sweets of all sorts. Betty, Paisley and Gabrielle snatched as many sweets as they could fit into their clustered backpacks while Pearl stood next to them in envy.

"You're missing out," Paisley said to her.

Pearl quickly looked away.

"Oh come on, they only do this type of thing twice a year, a few Doklelots won't hurt."

Paisley placed her hands down the cauldron once again.

"Oh look! Caramel drops, your favorite!"

Pearl tried resisting but those were irresistible.

"Move out of the way!" she said, quickly placing her hands in the cauldron while snatching the packet in Paisley's hand.

With backpacks and pockets filled with sweets, they continued down the hall only to be stopped by pumpkins.

"A couple of diddle dally ladies I see, striding around so confidently,"

"Shut up, pumpkin!" Betty reacted at the stump looking one with a grin that nearly took half his face.

"Oh, the entitlement with this one is spry indeed, tell me girl, do the others follow your lead?"

"What did you say?" Betty approached it but as she did, Paisley pulled her away.

"Not worth it, Betty,"

Even some of the teachers participated in the festivities by accessorizing their usual formal attire, varying from pins, and odd hats to whatever Coach Float wore as the four passed by him heading for lunch.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't last Friday's champions!"

They all stared, confused. He wore a green shirt with two Ks on it's front, they mirrored each other. It was oversized and tucked in yellow pants. If the intent was to hide the belly, they worked partially. His yellow and green striped socks extended right below the elbow and tucked the pants above. His hat was like a nightcap in the same color as the prominent green on his shirt.