Chapter 7: The Survival Guide

The strong positive feelings of the game last night emanated throughout the school the next morning at breakfast, as chatter louder than the previous day was much more prominent. Everyone including the first years were in high spirits, everyone but group C. In a matter of minutes, they'd would be entering a dreary classroom with with Mrs. Jogerson in front, a teacher who slowly had become the least favorite among many in the C group since her introduction, including Betty and her two friends.

"We read the chapters, we shouldn't worry much" Paisley reasoned.

"That lady will want more, no doubt," Betty commented.

"As for all our other teachers!" Paisley reacted

"No Paisley, you don't understand, she's different. I can't seem to trust her."

Betty glared out to a corner wall as though she was facing her mortal enemy, playing with her food as though conspiring something. Paisley stared at her and the wall, slowly realizing that maybe reasoning wasn't the best diplomacy tactic with her friends and the transfiguration teacher.

Seeing Mrs. Jorgensen's first thing after breakfast was not pleasant. For many, it felt like a sixteen hour break from astrology the night before.

"Good morning, students!" Mr. Jorgerson said. A few mumbles of "Good Morning" replied back, no one reflected her friendly expression.

"Now then, I expect the first two chapter reads were a skim read, nothing should stand out. It shouldn't be that different from what you learned so far."

Mrs. Jorgerson gazed at the half awake first years.

"Now then, with your understanding and memory coming into full effect, let's explore the world of inanimate change...."

Long monotone dialogue followed, as she lectured, she would give small remarks of future quizzes and assignments. If she thought reminding them of school work during the lesson was useful, she was wrong. There was an ensemble of groans for every "study" or "prepare" after every "you must" or "be sure to". Not even the blocks of wood transfiguring into small blue iguanas were amusing enough to insight interest.

"Wow, I didn't expect the visceral reaction." Mrs. Jogerson said sarcastically from the unamused audience. "You've just seen me transfigure an inanimate object into a live creature, I thought you all would be stunned. What is going on with you all?"

"Elementa, you mention homework and school in general," a student in the back uttered, a couple eyes went towards the boy student near the back.

Mrs. Jogerson with her hand on her hips, grinned. "I appreciate the honesty, Mr. Klarsen, but to be blunt with you all, you're just getting started."

"She's a real crodpot you know," Betty uttered, crossing her arms while leaning back on the cafeteria bench.

"Betty!" Paisley reacted to Betty's outburst of anger.

After the uneventful transfiguration and history of magic classes, Mrs. Jorgerson was all the four could talk about.. Paisley seemed to side with the teacher which annoyed them, especially Betty.

"No one heard that, don't worry," Betty said, realizing she might have put the attention to the table.

The four were well situated in the packed cafeteria, in the cluster first years as usual.

"She's just doing her job" Paisley said calmly.

"Yeah, and she's doing such a great job," Pearl added with a tone of annoyance.

"Maybe we're still not adjusted yet, I remember you both talking bad about Mr. Zoltan in Zaha's academy, but with time you both got used to him. Don't you think it might be the same thing with Mrs. Jogerson?"