xxi ; back in time

Start from the beginning

"Yeah." I said, throwing my feet off of the bed and standing up. The moment I left the bed, everything began to spin again.

"I think you should stay here." Hermione said, giving me a pitiful smile as she watched me fall dizzy.

"No, I'm fine." I said, putting on my best "normal" face. "Where's my wand?"

Hermione fell silent and looked at Harry, who had turned pale. "Er..." He gulped. "Whenever you fell in the water... I dropped it when I pulled you out. It fell in the lake. I'm so sorry, Jo."

"It's fine. Rather the wand than me." I shook my head, trying to forget about it. Sirius was more important. "Let's just go."

"Go where?" Harry asked, looking around wildly as Hermione wrapped her necklace around our necks. Harry tried to touch the Time Turner, and Hermione quickly slapped his hand away. She turned the necklace three times, and everything quickly began to rewind around us. It got darker, then lighter, and suddenly it all stopped. I looked over to the bed where Ron was laying, and he was gone. We had gone back in time.

Hermione took the necklace off of our necks and shoved it in her jacket again.

"What just happened?" Harry asked frantically as he looked around the room. "Where's Ron?"

"7:30." Hermione said, looking at the clock tower across the hall. "Where were we at 7:30?"

"Going to Hagrid's." I said.

"Why?" Harry said, slightly out of breath from panicking.

"Come on." Hermione sighed, grabbing him by the arm. "And we can't be seen." She broke into a run, and Harry and I followed her.

"Hermione, wait!" Harry called behind her. "Do you know what's going on?" He asked me as we ran down to the courtyard.

"Yeah." I said, trying to keep track of my feet on the stairs in case I missed one. My whole surroundings were spinning, and I felt like I would loose my footage at any moment. I could still feel the brittle chill of the water lingering on my skin like an itch.

"Will one of you please tell me what it is we're doing?" Harry groaned as Hermione came to a sudden stop, opened a cupboard and pulled both of us in. She pressed her ear against the door, listening for something.

"Shut up, Potter!" I hissed, putting my hand over his mouth. He tried to talk again, but his voice was muffled.

"We've gone back in time." Hermione whispered. "Three hours back."

I felt Harry's mouth fall open under my hand, and it was obvious that the very idea of time travel seemed incomprehensible in his head. Although his words were hard to understand, he managed to mumble: "But-"

"Shh!" Hermione shushed. "There's footsteps. I think it's us!"

Harry grabbed me on the wrist and forced my hand down. "You're telling me that we're in here, AND out there?"

"Yes." Hermione said. "I'm sure it is. It doesn't sound like more than four people and we're walking slowly because we're under the cloak. I think we've gone down the steps." Hermione sat on a flipped over bucket in the corner of the cupboard.

"Where did you get that hourglass thing?" Harry asked Hermione, then turned to me. "And how do you know about it?"

"It's a Time Turner. If you have a brain, it shouldn't have been very hard to figure out." I shrugged, and Harry, who seemed to be very frustrated opened his mouth to retort but Hermione cut him off.

"I got it from Professor McGonagall on the first day back. It's how I've been getting to all my classes." Hermione said to shut Harry up. "But I don't know why Dumbledore wanted me to turn it three clicks. "What were we doing at 7:30 that can be changed?"