Chapter 17: Shadows of Betrayal

Adorned with the weight of sovereignty, Seungcheol secures the crown upon his noble brow as he strides purposefully towards the chamber door. A gentle tug at his hand brings his regal procession to a graceful halt, compelling him to turn and face Jeonghan, whose eyes gleam with a tender longing.

"Yes, my cherished rose?" Seungcheol's voice, resonant with authority yet softened by affection, echoes through the chamber as he draws Jeonghan into his embrace with a gentle pull.

"Is it of utmost urgency for you to grace the courthouse with your presence today? Might you consider forgoing this duty, even for but a moment?" Jeonghan's fingers toy with the intricate beads adorning Seungcheol's collar, his voice laced with a hint of pleading.

A fond chuckle escapes Seungcheol's lips as he envelops Jeonghan in the warmth of his touch, his hand finding its place upon the younger man's waist. "And why, pray tell, do you find yourself yearning for my company, my dear?"

"Do you truly find fault in longing for you?" Jeonghan's words, coupled with a soft lip bite and a gaze that pierces through Seungcheol's defenses, speak volumes.

"It is not a fault, my beloved rose," Seungcheol reassures him, his affectionate gesture punctuated by a playful pinch to Jeonghan's nose, eliciting a charming blush from his paramour.

"Very well then, I shall make haste to retrieve the tomes I require from the royal library, and return to you swiftly," Seungcheol declares, bestowing a tender kiss upon Jeonghan's lips before reluctantly relinquishing their embrace.

With a determined stride, Seungcheol approaches the door, where Junhui and Wonwoo await, their steadfast loyalty a testament to their noble lineage. Straightening his regal attire with an air of dignified grace, he nods to his companions.

With resolve etched upon his features and the weight of the crown upon his brow, Seungcheol leads his entourage towards the library, his thoughts lingering upon the one who awaits his return in the royal chamber.

"Know, Your Majesty, that the path you tread bears weighty consequences," Junhui's voice reverberates through the grand hallways as Seungcheol, accompanied by Wonwoo and Junhui, proceeds towards the library. Wonwoo casts a discreet glance at Junhui, silently urging him to hold his tongue, but Junhui remains resolute.

"In matters of the heart, there is no crime in succumbing to love, dear Junhui," Seungcheol's voice carries authority softened by wisdom as they navigate the winding corridors leading to the library. With each step, the opulent tapestries adorning the walls bear witness to their royal procession.

"It is not your sovereignty that concerns me, Your Majesty, but rather the suitability of the individual in question," Junhui interjects, his gaze unwavering as he fixes it upon Seungcheol's retreating figure.

"The one I chose is worthy, Junhui," Seungcheol asserts firmly, pausing briefly before a grand archway leading to the library.

"Your marriage to a palace cook did not impede our affairs," Seungcheol counters, his tone edged with conviction.

"Minghao's loyalty is unquestionable--"

"Are you implying that Jeonghan poses a threat?" Seungcheol halts abruptly, pivoting on his heels to face Junhui head-on.

"He does--"

"The eyes of our subjects are upon us," Wonwoo interjects sharply, drawing Seungcheol's attention to the curious onlookers among the palace staff.

"We shall revisit this matter imminently," Seungcheol declares with a furrowed brow, turning once more to resume their path towards the library.

As they approach the ornate doors of the library, Seungcheol notices the absence of guards and suppresses a frown. Nevertheless, he strides forward with regal poise, acknowledging Wonwoo's gesture to open the door with a nod of gratitude.