nine

7:02 pm ANASTASIA BYNES

Taking blood samples, running to and from the lab, and sweet-talking nervous patients - this is what my life was now. Tuesday through Friday was my schedule at the hospital, aside from the mandatory Monday I set aside for helping Jan.

Connie was home all day today, her schedule was fairly similar to mine. She worked Thursday through Saturday at the Library, leaving us with Sundays together. We split the rent two ways, one week is mine to get groceries and the other gets to do laundry. She texted me while I was at work to let me know Jan didn't need her today so she was home all day alone.

I left work fairly early today and walked into our apartment to her sitting on the couch with Lilo at her feet. "Hey you"

Feeling weary from my day, I walk into the kitchen and toss my work badge onto the island. I kick my shoes off and collapse down next to her on the couch, letting out a heavy sigh as I try to unwind from the day's stress. As I sit there, I notice Connie sitting in her usual spot on the couch, her eyes glued to the TV screen.

I could tell she wasn't paying attention to the show by the way she was blinking rapidly.

"What's on your mind Con?" I ask, leaning my head on her shoulder. Instantly I feel her relax, almost as if she bottled up her emotions until it was time to talk about it.

"I'm sorry about last night...." She starts sheepishly, keeping her eyes glued to the television.

Connie had a reputation for never apologizing, it was something she couldn't bring herself to do no matter how much she was in the wrong. I stop her before she can continue, "You don't need to apologize, I shouldn't have kept any secrets"

It's silent between us two, technically three if you count Lilo who slept next to us - before she speaks again, "From here on, no more secrets?" I nod my head, "No more secrets"

I lift my pinky up and she snatched Lilo up from the other side of the couch, holding up his tiny paw and smushing it between our hands. We both laugh loudly before she puts Lilo back down, resting her head on my shoulder now.

"So...who called last night?"

"Oh my gosh! Calum called" She sits up on the couch, sounding cheerful about it and I kept a smile on my face. It was a mix of relief that he kept to his word, but I knew there was something else about the whole endeavour "Thats great Con, about what?"

"He told me he's been in New York for a little less than a week... he actually upped and left to Italy for 5 months after graduation before deciding to come to the big city"

My heart drops to my stomach, so much for no more secrets.

"Oh"

She continued speaking, turning to face me now and I try my hardest to force a smile. Everything else she said was tuned out by my thoughts. After a few moments, I can feel her staring at me waiting for a reply. My mouth is dry as I speak "Oh that's great, he told me he.. liked.. Italy too"

As I sit there on the couch, thinking of anything to try and change the subject, my phone begins to ring in the other room. It's as if the universe itself is telling me to get out of there and away from this environment. I stand up, hugging Connie quickly and bolting to my room, my heart pounding in my chest the whole time.

Once I make it to my room, I grab my phone and see my schedule for next week has been posted along with an unknown number texting me. A notification pops onto my screen,

- Hey, It's Luke

I stare at it for a few moments before replying.

hi it's anastasia -