six

11:22 am - ANASTASIA BYNES

As my personal alarm clock started his daily riot at my door, I had to peel my eyes apart, dry and stinging from the few hours of sleep I'd bothered to get.

I find the strength to roll over after the fourth or so muffled meow, sprawling out to stretch before I got out of bed, grabbing my phone on the way to open the curtains. I could see the sun from my window, so I likely got at least a few hours of sleep.

Like a responsible adult, I passed out on my bed a little after seven completely dressed yet again.

Calum's leather jacket was zipped up to my neck and my pink sleep shorts somehow made it match.

I check the time on my phone, tapping the screen a few times. To my surprise, my notifications were full of messages and a few voicemails. I wandered to the hallway bathroom, ignoring Lilo bobbing and weaving around my feet. Scrolling through the voicemails, I didn't recognize the numbers from any of the missed calls, so I checked through the messages first, grabbing my toothbrush in a slow attempt to multitask.

My stomach turned as I read the first one: "Hi Anastasia, your first shift is scheduled at 2 pm for training with Lynn in Phlebotomy Unit 6."

Turns out, the rest of the unknown messages and voicemails were similar, all just confirming the time and location of my first day of training for the new internship I had been approved for. I washed my face then spent the next few minutes replying to the messages to confirm and making a few notes in my phone to remind myself of the time and any supplies I might need to bring.

Connie had also left me a few messages which I checked as I walked back into my bedroom to change.

ConBear: Groceries are on the counter

Conbear: Good morning Btw:)

AnaBanana: Gm or afternoon!

AnaBanana: I'll put them away before work

As I prepared everything for my first day, I found myself lost in thought.

Having turned down everything my family had laid out for me, I didn't want to mess this little act of independence up. I'd still be in school to become a neurologist, working at my family's clinic in Oregon, or maybe I'd be travelling with my mother. I wouldn't have struggled so long to get a Phlebotomy internship after competing time and time again for such positions, here or in Oregon.

I had to prove myself and I had to be successful doing it. I'd prove to my mother, to myself, that I was finally carving my own path and following my own dreams. I'm not becoming a doctor for my family. I'm doing it because I am passionate about medicine.

Unlike my mother, I can balance work and my life outside. I'd have time for my family and friends.

In a way, I'm free to not make the same mistakes my mother did.

Lilo was angry I'd ignored him for so long. My stomach was getting angry I'd ignored it for quite some time too, so I gave Lilo his portion of food and then gave myself a large breakfast of cereal.

Sadly it doesn't taste as good right after I brushed my teeth.

I wasn't too sure how today would go, or if I'd be able to keep down a meal surrounded by blood and nauseated patients.