|| Chatur: The Conspiracy ||

Indra entered the realm of the demons in the disguise of a wandering saint with Matali as his companion. They both had chosen fake identities for themselves so that no one from Rasatala could recognize them and they could finish their task of rescuing the spies of Devaloka without any obstacle. Usually, the demons never respected saints but Indra and Matali had a strong excuse which no one among the demons could oppose, defy or undermine.

"We are the favorite disciples of Maharshi Kashyapa!" Matali would answer curtly whenever somebody from the demons crossed their path and questioned their presence in their land. Kashyapa was Indra's father and at the same time, he was a Prajapati. He was the patriarch of Daityas, Danavas, Nagas and many other clans who found their origin in him. They all regarded him highly no matter whether they truly followed his instructions and ideals or not. Their ideology had always been their individual choice but they honored Kashyapa as the eldest member of their respective clans.

"Pra-" Matali stopped before he could complete the word as he realized that he was not supposed to address his Lord as Lord while they were in disguise. "Shall we halt at the Shiva Mandiram for some time?"

Indra nodded his head in approval as they stepped into the temple premises, surveying the surroundings. The demons had no devotion for any Deva other than Brahma Deva whom they revered because he was the creator and he was extremely impartial too. It was not difficult to please him and acquire any kind of boon from him which could be used for their destructive purposes. Some of them took a liking to Shiva and worshipped him often, but they did not have selfless devotion towards him either. Brahma's temple was already built by the Asuras when they established their kingdom but Indra knew that Shiva's temple was made to be built by Kashyapa with much persuasion. He wanted the demons to have some connection with Mahadeva at least if not Narayana because the latter was impossible.

They loathed Vishnu because Vishnu was direct in his ways. He always involved himself in every issue and preserved Dharma fiercely. If there were people that the Asuras badly loathed, it was Vishnu and Indra. Vishnu was always pushing Purandara to become the Lord of Svarga and he always ensured that Indra's position belonged to Indra only when every demon wanted to possess it. They viewed the position of Indra as something akin to possession, not realizing the sacred duty that comes with it and no one but Indra could.

"The betrothal has taken place, right?" A grave voice was heard, making Indra and Matali snap their heads in that direction. "What's the problem that you are talking about?"

"Of course, it has taken place. But Anuhlada told me that Shachi is against this marriage and that she might run away anytime. He told me that if something like that happens, he'll abduct her and force her into becoming his wife by hook or by crook!" Hlada, the elder brother of Anuhlada and his father, Emperor Hiranyakashipu, were present at the temple. It made Indra anxious for a moment as he was not expecting to see them there.

"So the Daitya Princes will keep a watch on the Danava Princess with your troops?" Hiranyakashipu exclaimed, his tone dripping with mockery. "Why do you need to give so much weightage to her words, Hlada? She won't be able to cross the boundaries of Rasatalaloka because she knows nothing outside of it and there are enough guards in all the directions to forbid her from leaving. You can just keep them informed!"

"You are right, Pita. But Anuhlada is obsessed with Shachi and he doesn't want to take any risk. He insisted that I employ the special troops around the Danava palace just for the purpose of not letting the princess escape."

"Do whatever you want, Hlada, as long as you do not bring me and the Daityas any loss!" Hiranyakashipu said and marched out of the palace, from beside Indra whose palms were fisted.

"We should go to the Daitya palace next for the release of the spies," Matali reminded his master in a low voice, who was seeming lost in some other thought, his eyes resembling the burning afternoon sun.

"You will go to the Daitya palace and get them released with my father's help!" Indra responded as Matali raised his eyebrows in surprise. "I know that you are capable of it, Matali, I trust you. You can do all this efficiently."

"And what about you, my Lord?"

"I have to go to the Danava palace," Indra said solemnly. "Some conspiracy is happening and I should stop it!"

"But you had told me that you do not fear any conspiracy and you do not wish to interfere in their matters."

"Matali, you have heard that Princess Shachi doesn't want to marry Anuhlada and he wants to force her for the same. It's a dire situation for the princess!"

"PulomaKanya is no one to you, Prabhu, it shouldn't matter to you." Matali pursed his lips. "We got to know that she doesn't want to marry Prince Anuhlada but not that she wants to marry you, Prabhu!"

"Matali!" Indra exclaimed, furrowing his brows at his friend.

"Prabhu, I'm serious! You cannot venture into this matter without knowing what you intend to do and why you are wanting to do this! We do not know about Princess Shachi but we can definitely know about your heart!"

"Matali, I can't decide anything at this point. To show love towards someone, you should have the right to do it. But Princess Shachi doesn't even know about me. I can say that I have immense respect for her and I care for her too. But I cannot claim anything beyond that and the topic of marriage is far-fetched. I want to help her as it seems like she is imprisoned in her own house, like our spies!" Indra started to leave from there when Matali stopped him again by blocking his path.

"Why do you want to help the princess of the demons, Prabhu? The Asuras are your enemies. What obligation do you have towards her despite how much respect or care you feel? It's not adding up!"

"I should have clarity before clearing it for you, Matali, and if I should have that clarity, I have to meet Paulomi."
With that final statement, Indra left for the Danava palace, leaving Matali behind to look after their main task.