Chapter 21: Mentoring

Luke: "Woah, Toby! What the hell happened to you?"

Everyone is back at the inn. All sitting around the main area. Toby's new look is fascinating everyone.

Toby: "Well... I rejected my demonic urges and became an angel, I guess?"

Luna: "Oh, wow."

Tyler: "So, you found your resolve?"

Everyone looks at Tyler confused.

Luke: "Resolve?"

Tyler nods. 

Tyler: "Yeah, resolve. What drives your will, what motivates you, the reason you fight?"

Luke: "To become stronger?"

Tyler: "No, you see... If you just prance about thinking that's your resolve the entirety of this journey, you're weak."

Luna: "Wait, how DO we even figure out our resolve?"

Tyler shrugs.

Tyler: "Don't ask me, guys. Everyone's resolves are different in their own ways. Like, my resolve is to fight and protect those dear to me."

Luna: "Wait, that's my resolve though, how come I'm not all powerful?"

Tyler: "Well, most resolves need some sort of event to trigger it. Like... uh, what exactly happened with you, Toby?"

Toby: "I went to go see Adam."

Tyler: "Yeah, my resolve came around years ago, but some people's resolve wavers, and they become weak again. So make sure your resolves are good and reasonable, because resolve is pretty much key to becoming powerful."

Luke: "So... resolve powers us?"

Tyler: "It's a main factor, yes. You'll still need to do all the training parts."

Liv: "Well, enough about that! Are you mentoring us or not!?"

Hanako butts in.

Hanako: "Well, Tyler's arm is broken, so he should be taking it easy."

Tyler: "Yeah, sorry guys. I'm a liability right now."

Luke: "Not your fault your arm's broken."

Tyler sighs.

Tyler: "Yeah. When I came back to consciousness I wailed and cried for maybe 2 hours."

Tezuka: "So... how does it feel to have a symbiote in your body?"

Tyler scratches his head.

Tyler: "Uh, I don't even know if she IS a symbiote."

Luke: "Huh? She said she was."

Tyler: "Huh. We were talking about what she was, and I said she's kind of like a symbiote. She was unsure of it, but hey... It's like... the most logical thing she could be... Right?"

Luna: "Makes sense to me."

Toby: "Wait... When I was... you know. The Shadow Prince came along and spoke to me. I mentioned you had this Primalurge virus thing, and he said something about... category 3?"

Tyler: "Category 3?"

Toby: "Yeah. I wonder what that was about."

Hanako: "Category 3? Category... bores me. Tyler... You're going to recover and not fight for a while, mister!"

Tyler: "Yeah, no shit sis."

Hanako: "Ap. Swear."

Tyler: "My bad..."

Liv: "Damn it! Who'll mentor us, then?"

Tyler: "Maybe one of you should do it? I mean, I won't always be around, same as how you all won't always be around."

Toby: "Why don't I do it?  I found out my resolve. I could give some teachings to everybody."

Everyone looks at Toby.

Luna: "Man, you sure? I wouldn't want that stress on you."

Tyler: "And you wanted it on me?!"

Luna: "What I mean is... You've only just found your resolve, aren't you taking things too-"

Toby: "Well, we never know when someone else is gonna just come along. Might as well start as soon as possible. I mean, Satan could come along and defeat us all."

Luke: "Haha! I think not, Toby! I'll bless him and send his ass back!"

Toby: "Cockiness like that is the very reason why we all were getting our asses beat."

Luna: "Now that you think about it... I do feel as if we're overconfident."

Liv: "Hyahahaha! That's why you always lose, Luna!"

Tezuka: "Hmm. I feel like you shouldn't say that."

Luke: "Agreed. You're the most overconfident person I've ever met!"

Liv: "Oh yeah! I am!"

Toby: "Yeesh... Alright, come on guys. I'll mentor you in the best way I can."

Luke: "Thank goodness!"

Luna: "Alright, uh... See you two later."

Hanako: "Hmm? Alright. You guys can get to it. We'll still be here."

Tyler: "Yeah. See ya."

Tyler and Hanako wave them off.

2 minutes later...

Toby: "Right. Here's what's gonna happen. I've been looking closely at how most of you fight, and I must say. Not impressed in the slightest."

Luke: "Oh man, I thought this was mentoring. Not a lecture."

Luna: "Well... It could very well help with our training."

Luke: "True. What do we do wrong, Toby?"

Toby lifts up a finger. They all get sent flying into the air, and he slams them onto the ground using strong gales of wind. They all take heavy hits, and take a while to stand up.

Luke: "Ouch! What was that for?! Could've warned us!"

Toby: "Step one. Be prepared. You never know when someone's gonna-"

Toby shoots some wind at Tezuka, who gets knocked onto the floor.

Toby: "-Attack."

Tezuka: "Ouch."

Toby: "Step two! You all need to utilise both physical and elemental attacks at the same exact time. What're you gonna do if the enemy has your element, and they're stronger than you? That's right. You're gonna get overpowered."

Luna: "Uh huh. That's true... So what can we do?"

Toby punches a fist into his palm.

Toby: "Give em the ol' Left Right GOODNIGHT!"

Luna tilts her head.

Liv: "YEAH!!! LEFT RIGHT GOODNIGHT!!!"

Toby: "That is... if you don't have any weapons, Luna."

Luna: "Huh? I do have weapons."

Toby: "Yeah, a bow. No arrows. You just fire elemental shots of electricity. If someone with the electric element came by? I don't think you'd be very... useful."

Luna: "Well, what else can I do? I don't wanna waste money on arrows."

Tezuka: "Use the money from Tyler's secret stash."

Luna: "...I think I'd prefer to just... go for the left right goodnight."

Toby: "With you? No. Get some arrows."

Luna: "Man..."

Toby: "This applies to you, Liv! Aka, Miss Cannon."

Liv: "Hey! It's an awesome weapon! Really strong too, since it's a blessed relic!"

Toby: "Maybe start using more magic alongside it. Could be stronger if you did. Don't just rely on things because they're powerful."

Liv: "Yahaha! You're right! Maybe I should start utilising water more! It is pretty power-"

Liv is slammed onto the floor with another gust of wind.

Toby: "Geez. Why are none of you prepared?"

Liv: "We don't expect our ally to attack us, that's why!"

Toby: "Tezuka! Got a word with you as well."

Tezuka: "Sock it to me."

Toby: "Sock it to me?  What the hell does that- Anyways! Fire? It's strong. However... You're too focused on close range. Hell, even our man Luke uses elemental ranged attacks time to time. You either just dive into them, or use a close range burst of energy."

Tezuka: "Do I?"

Toby: "Yep. And I'm disappointed with that too. You can transform your fire into literal freakin' animals! You have some of the best Mana control I've seen in my life! If those were ranged attacks, you'd be unstoppable, Tez."

Tezuka: "Ew. I hate the name Tez. It's like calling me Terry."

Toby: "And you know what else I hate?"

Tezuka: "What?"

Luna is sent into the floor with a gust of wind.

Luna: "D'oh..."

Toby: "How NONE of you are still prepared for-

Luke is sent into the floor with gust of wind as well.

Toby: "Any of my attacks!"

Luke: "Ouch..."

Toby: "You two are-"

Toby sends both Liv and Tezuka onto the floor. Liv hits the floor, but Tezuka puts up some resistance with her fire.

Toby: "Oh, wow! Someone's learning. Good Job, Tezuka."

Tezuka: "I am prepared for the worst."

Toby: "Are you?"

Tezuka: "Yep."

Toby: "Really?"

Tezuka: "Ye-"

Tezuka is sent into the air, and immediately back onto the ground. She cushions her fall with her fire once again.

Toby: "Color me impressed."

Tezuka: "Impressed isn't a color."

Toby: "...Well! Do you all understand what I'm trying to say?"

Luke: "Yeah..."

Everyone else gets back up onto their feet.

Toby: "Now! I want you all to train your mana. Control it well! Then you can further enhance your techniques. Make them stronger! Because out of everyone here, Liv and Tezuka have the best mana control. Luna's is basic... And Luke?"

Luke: "Yes?"

Toby: "Please do something else other than orbs that shoot into beams. It's pretty boring, and therefore predictable."

Luke: "Yes sir!"

Toby: "STEP 3! Fighting techniques!"

Liv: "Ooh!"

Toby: "Now we all fight differently, and that's good! But there's one thing that isn't."

Luna: "What would that be?"

Toby: "Predictability."

Luna: "Oh yeah?"

Toby: "Luna, from our sparring session a while back, you've stayed predictable. Luke? Your shield bashing is predictable, and so are your magic attacks. Liv?  You're batshit insane, I can't even predict your next move. Tezuka?  You don't think when you fight, so you're pretty unpredictable. Which is good, but also not..."

Luke: "So... I need to fight batshit insane or not think when I fight?"

Toby: "No! That's their style. Find your own unpredictable style. Everyone's got one."

???: "INCLUDING THE UNPREDICTABLE STYLE... OF SURPRISE!!!"

Two people drop down behind Toby. They land on their feet.

Slorethro: "Hello, Swampass McSillyWilly!"

Shizune: "Prepare to be bested by the legendary duo!!!"

Toby: "Oh, hey. These two. Wanna try beating them, two of you four?"

Luke: "Eh, I'll bite."

Luna: "Me too."

Toby: "Okay, good."

Shizune: "What!? You're actually fighting us this time?! No! No! We were joking! Honestly! We're just here for the laughs!"

Slorethro: "Yeah! Don't hurt us!"

Toby: "Too late, after them."

Slorethro and Shizune run away. Luke and Luna then go after them. When suddenly Slorethro and Shizune jump, look behind them, and they throw out magic attacks. It hits Luke and Luna, but they don't fall onto the floor. They manage to power through them.

Slorethro: "What? I was sure the element of surprise would have taken you two down!"

Luke: "Step one... be prepared!"

Luke rushes at Shizune. Luna rushes at Slorethro.

Shizune: "Hah! What're you gonna do, huh?"

Luke: "Something unpredictable, of course."

Luke grabs Shizune, and places a small ball of light onto her. Luna grabs Slorethro, and throws him onto the ground. She opens up her palms.

Luke: "And... let's send em back where they came from."

Luna: "Okay."

The small ball of light grows bigger, and explodes. The ground underneath Slorethro rumbles, and a huge bolt of lightning erupts from underneath. Both of the attacks send the 'legendary duo' into the sky, and far far away.

Slorethro: "Eeep! We'll get you next time, Swampass McSillyWilly!!!"

Shizune: "Wow sis! You're getting good! Ahem... You'll pay for this!!!"

They fly out of view.

Toby: "Wow. I haven't seen any of those attacks come from either of you. This is what I've been talking about the whole time."

Luke: "I just kinda did it! Woah, so... This is our power?" 

Toby: "For now. You'll always be able to expand. I'll be working on my own too."

Tezuka: "Thanks Tony. You're awesome."

Toby: "Tony?"

Tezuka: "Toby, sorry."

Tezuka is then flung into the air once more. She doesn't land back at her usual spot.

Toby: "Okay, so you all get it now, right? Less predictable. Make sure you also combo your magic and your physical attacks, that'll rack up the damage."

Luke: "Aye aye!"

Toby: "Alright... Now, we should all have a free-for-all! As soon as Tezuka gets back."

Meanwhile...

Hanako: "Tyler, you're so dramatic. I'll go get an ice pack for you."

She leaves the inn, and suddenly something falls onto her. It just so happened to be Tezuka.

Hanako: "D'oof..."

Tezuka gets up.

Tezuka: "Oops, sorry."

Hanako: "I think my back is broken."

Tezuka: "You're being dramatic."

Tezuka lifts her back up by grabbing her with fire.

Hanako: "Eep! I could've been burnt again! Ugh! I hate fire! I hate it, I hate it!"

Tezuka: "Sorry... I was just trying to help."

Hanako: "Sorry... Bad history with fire."

Tezuka: "Really?"

Hanako: "Uh... yes. Is that sarcasm?"

Tezuka: "What do you think?"

Hanako: "...I'm going to just go back to what I was doing."

Hanako walks off. Tezuka stands at the entrance.

Tezuka: "What was I doing again..?"