S2-Ep. 5.11 (R) - A Damsel in Distress

Previously on "The Otherworlders" - Sebastian, Jake, and Cameron find themselves at the center of Prince Julian's court, there to help celebrate the prince's engagement as a cover for their mission. 

When it comes time to bow reverently before the prince, Jake struggles with the clash of customs and the fact that bowing before a Vampyr prince might be interpreted as him groveling.

Hoping the prince won't insult the prince or embarrass Sebastian's family, Jake finds a comprise that, after Sebastian's thoughtful interference, meets with the prince's initially stoic approval.

**********

The crowd is gathered in Prince Julian's Throne Room as he stands before his court, his fiancé, Lady Agatha, by his side and a chalice of wine in his hands. He holds the chalice up in a toast. "To my bride-to-be!"

Lady Agatha blushes deeply and hangs her head, looking down at the floor to avoid eye contact with anyone.

Regardless, the crowd echoes Prince Julian's toast as he begins to pace along the dais.

Sir Geoffrey rolls his eyes and mutters, "Not exactly the kind of princess we were hoping for, is she?"

"Did you see how she couldn't even make eye contact with anyone during the entire procession?!" Lady Brigitte responds wickedly. "She must be as dull as a doorknob."

"I pity the prince that she will be his First Wife," Sir Geoffrey adds. "Imagine having to bring someone so tepid and unrefined into our noble social circle."

"Oh, good Gods!" Lady Brigitte says with a derisive snort. "Their pairing, outside of the political union, is a disaster waiting to happen! However..." She breathes in. "I'm sure her dowry will make up for her lack of grace or beauty in the end. Let's hope she can at least provide him with a male heir."

Sir Geoffrey and Lady Brigitte share a knowing look before turning their attention back to the prince.

"Now, I must say that many of you were surprised by my engagement announcement," Prince Julian continues, "and to be frank, that's understandable." He stops in the middle of the dais and takes in the crowd. "That is because we kept our impending union a secret, given the prestige of both Houses. But for those who know me well or are at least observant enough, you should have seen the signs, the clues of this coming event."

He scans the crowd, acknowledging a few of the guests with a nod. "But no matter." He continues, resuming his pacing. "The engagement is public now and the union of these two houses, the House of DuBois and the House of Bennington, will bring about a sense of stability, and we believe a greater prosperity to all of our people."

While the crowd breaks out into a cheer again, Sir Geoffrey leans in and murmurs to his wife, "The House of Bennington? Did you see this coming?"

"No," Lady Brigitte replies honestly. "Had I been paying attention, I suppose I would have. But I didn't. And I've never known a man who likes to flaunt the fact that he's got so many secrets more than Julian does. But I've not been part of the court for some time now."

"We should probably keep closer tabs on court intrigue going forward, don't you think?" Surprisingly, Sir Geoffrey says this without any arrogance or condescension, because while it's true he and his wife have a mutual disdain for each other, when it comes to court politics, they work exceedingly well together, like a well-oiled machine.

Meanwhile, Sebastian leads the boys back into the now empty antechamber where they huddle together to strategize. "Okay," he says. "Now's our chance. Let's figure out where to look for the artifact."