━━ chapter 50

( The events of this chapter are
slightly darker and more violent
than the previous chapters

but with three of us, honey, it's a sideshow

Celeste always assumed life would drain and melt from bodies slowly; not instantaneously vanish with no warning. She had assumed that was how it was done. One might have a chance to whisper their last words and leave with some sort of preparation. 

So many had that chance. 

But not Olivia. Not Olivia, who deserved it the most. 

The feeling of her heartbeat going silent still echoed against Celeste's shaking fingertips. Death had simply snatched her away, stealing every ounce of life from her body. Celeste had watched her ― felt her die.

Celeste rose from the floor, perfectly composed. 

"Evan went after Hargrave," Sirius told her. "He ran immediately."

Celeste didn't answer. She walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "No one can know about this," she said quietly.

He gave her an assured nod. "Do what you need to do."

She wasn't sorry for the immoral crime she was about to commit. She craved cruelty too much to turn away now. She heard shouting echo through the tower as brief bursts of lights flashed outside the door. Thick as thieves with death, Celeste left the classroom. 

The door slammed shut behind her. Sirius' familiar voice shouted faintly, "Obliviate!"

Her sharp footsteps descended down the spiral staircase, each click of her heel echoing through the damp air. Evan's voice was getting louder and louder, now at a reverberating volume. 

"Stop running you coward!" Evan was shouting. 

Celeste turned the corner and finally saw them. Ribbons of scarlet light shot from their wands, each strike closer to death than the next. Hargrave's curses cut through the air with precise aim, but it was nowhere near the maddening ease of Evan's blows. Each spell pushed Hargrave further back, and now his back was inching closer and closer towards the stone wall. 

Celeste stormed down the hall towards them, seeing red. It didn't take long for her to reach them, and when she did, Evan had been waiting for her. He moved, giving Celeste his spot.