━━ chapter 28

and i damn sure never would've danced with the devil

"Celeste!" Mrs. Malfoy barked. "Enough! Is nothing to your standard? You complained about the flowers over a dozen times. We've changed the seating arrangements and redesigned your wedding dress for the eighth time, only to decide on the original design! You didn't like the cake, jewelry, curtains, perfume, and now the drinks!"

Celeste unflinchingly stayed in character. She continued to wail and whine. "I'm only saying that red wine will be a burden to have. What if it stains my dress? I wanted white wine and champagne! This isn't a late luncheon, it's my wedding!"

"This is the last time we will be adjusting details, Celeste," her mother seethed. "We'll have to extend the date further again. Evan's mother is furious, and so am I. This all ends here. You can have your wine and champagne and nothing more."

Celeste smiled weakly. "Thank you, mother."

"Now get dressed. You're meeting Evan in an hour."

Dressed in her favorite black and gold gown, Celeste took care to slowly walk as humanly possible down the corridor until she finally trudged into the study of the Roiser Mansion. She forced a bitter smile and curtsied under the doorway.

"Celeste, you're finally here," Evan smiled brightly, but for whatever reason, his eyes were full of fear. "We have a guest."

Her eyes scanned the room until they landed on the unfamiliar man. Even with his back turned, any fool would know who he was.

Voldemort turned slowly away from the window, and smiled, if not taunting. "Miss Malfoy. We meet at last."

Celeste's face drained of color but she held her ground steady and met his gaze. "My lord," she said, slowly. "It is... an honour."

"I've heard a great a deal of you," he mused, slowly circling her. His eyes seemed to search every inch of her, inspecting and scrutinizing. "A perfect well bred lady. You must be very proud, Mr. Rosier."

"Very, my lord." Evan looked down, using respect to conceal his terror. 

Voldemort ignored his cowardness. "Miss Malfoy, I take it you are trained in legilimency?"

Celeste felt a muscle in her eye twitch. Fighting off her recoil of shock, she pretended to be pleasantly surprised. "Yes, sir. How did you know?"