30: Ride or Die

"I will love you 'til the end of time."
➹♡➷➹♡➷➹♡➷
Luke

"What the fuck were you thinking!" Coach shouts at me as I ice my black eye.

That's the problem, I wasn't thinking. At least not clearly. Jason was out to get under my skin and he achieved that by bringing up my father.

"What do you think your father would think of you"

"Weak piece of shit."

My fists clench with the reminder, I wasn't weak when I was punching his deformed face off.

It wasn't until I saw Lizzie's face when I sobered up and realised what I'd done, the risk I took.

I was certain that the vipers wouldn't look at me any differently, for everyone else it was common for me to get into brawls.

But I tried change, I tried change for Lizzie because I didn't want her to end up like my mother and I didn't want to end up like my father.

But I can't change, I'm fucked in the head and anyone with a clear mind can see that.

Suddenly my mind was on Lizzie.

She came.

She saw.

When I saw her standing by the boards my heart sunk down to my stomach, her face was covered in hurt and disappointment. I would be disgusted in me too.

I should let her go, I should tell her to leave me, I should push her away but I can't. I'm selfish.

I need her.

Watching her walk away from me at the diner was painful enough when I knew she didn't have a choice but if she was given the choice I didn't want to know what she would pick when she saw me.

"Listen Luke. Scouts are interested in you, you're probably one of the best collegiate players out there. Don't fuck this up for yourself" He says as he comes to sit next to me but before his ass hits the bench I'm already standing up.

"I've got to go coach. I need to see my girlfriend."

"Girlfriend huh?" He raises an eyebrow at me but I don't stop as I make my way towards the back door of the locker room.

"Go." He finally says, I would've gone anyway and we both know that.

Rushing out of the locker room is one thing but trying to avoid the journalists is another, pulling out my phone I tug on my hat hoping it will cover my face.

Me: where are you baby?

Liz: right corner of carpark.

The dryness of her text puts me on edge, treading through the hall of the stadium trying to ignore everyone as best as I can.

"Luke!"
"Luke Beckett!"
"Mr Beckett!"

I shiver at the name that usually aligns with my father, bailing on walking I run out of the stadium my duffel with my hockey gear in swinging into me as I run towards the car park.