Chapter 6

When Angael entered his rooms, he wasn't surprised to see Genessis already sitting on his couch, sipping what seemed to be a red wine.

"Ah, there you are. And did you find our wayward general?" Genessis asked, turning around to look at his friend.

"I did," Angael said.

"So, where is he?" Genessis asked, "he didn't want to join us for dinner? Or did you tell him you would mike something spicy again."

"No, nothing like that. Unlike you, I'm not mean," Angael said, but he was still amused.

"You wound me. So, where is Sephiroth?" Genessis asked again.

"He's in his rooms, taking a shower," Angael said, looking thoughtful. Genessis frowned at the look, not understanding what was so weird about it.

"So, we'll expect him afterwards?" Genessis asked, and Angael looked up, slightly confused, before he seemed to get the question.

"Yes of course. You know, something kind of weird happened," Angael said, going to the kitchen and starting on the food. Genessis wandered over, taking another sip of his wine while he leaned against the counter, looking at his friend curiously.

"Do tell. If it's anything I can use to make fun of Sephiroth, it'll certainly be a plus," Genessis said, ignoring the small glare Angael was giving him.

"Don't make fun of him," Angael said with a sigh, "he's our friend, and we should make sure he feels good."

"Of course, you great caregiver," Genessis said, his stone exaggerated, but making Angael laugh, "now, can you tell me what happened."

"Yeah, yeah," Angael said, starting to cook, "so, we were walking past the new group of cadets, who happened to be doing mud drills."

"Oh, my favourite," Genessis said with a shudder, "it takes days to feel clean afterwards. So, did Sephiroth slip and fall in?"

"Have you ever seen Sephiroth slip?" Angael asked.

"A man can hope," Genessis answered back.

"No, he didn't. He was very fascinated by a cadet. The kid was helping the others over the wall, but he ended up being a few inches too short to be lifted up as last," Angael said, "when the team decided to continue on without him, Sephiroth was.... annoyed."

"Well, no man left behind and all that," Genessis said, knowing that even though they drilled like that, reality sometimes didn't give them a choice.

"Yeah, but then he started to give the kid pointers on how to jump the wall on his own," Angael said, making Genessis stop mid-drink, looking in surprise at Angael.

"He took a personal interest?" Genessis asked, "in a cadet?"

"Yes. I think the cadet is a caregiver though," Angael said, "when Sephiroth jumped down, he even couldn't stop himself from telling him to be careful."

"And did Sephiroth get annoyed?" Genessis asked, surprised when Angael shook his head.

"More amused. I really think he's interested in the cadet, even though he doesn't really seem special at first sight," Angael said, "but he did mention Zack before."

"Oh, perhaps Sephiroth wanted a puppy for himself," Genessis said in amusement, "one to run behind him the whole day."

"Don't let him hear you say that," Angael said, "but perhaps it would do him some good, to be a mentor. We do know he doesn't interact with a lot of people if he doesn't need to."

"True. It would be amusing to see how well the cadet would fare under Sephiroth's tutelage. Does that man even understand that some things don't come naturally, and that the cadets start from below zero in skills?" Genessis asked, finding it hard to imagine Sephiroth having the patience to guide a new cadet through the standard kata's, "even you only started mentoring Zack when he was already in the SOLDIER program."