32; daisy

The next day, Katie was still reduced to bed rest, though Madame Pomfrey had allowed her to be moved to her own dormitory. Through all the commotion of the previous day, Katie hadn't realized how frail she felt. The thought of casting a simple spell brought a throb to her temples.

Alice and Marlene paid their condolences when they'd heard the news, though they didn't stick around too long. An awkward silence had encompassed the room with just them, Katie, and Lily.

A steady divide had just grown between them over the years, and the playful atmosphere of their dormitory had quieted as they each found their own friend groups. Late nights between the four back in their fourth year when they hadn't quite outgrown their childish tendencies were something each of them deeply missed. But they never made a move to voice those thoughts out loud.

Now as Katie lay in bed, her bones aching, her muscles tense, her eyes tired, she wished that she didn't quite take those days for granted.

She was meant to be sleeping, but every time she attempted to close her eyes, all she'd see was the image of the death eater's grin that still made her want to empty out her stomach. Lily had gone to the library with Remus in an attempt to research her situation and demanded that Katie just sit and rest.

Usually Katie would've just brushed off the demand, but she couldn't find the will today.

Suddenly she noticed the pile of books on her bedside table. They were the books she'd intended to mail to her mother. Tentatively, she reached a hand out to grab the book on top, carefully feeling at the smooth texture of the cover. Her fingertips lined the gold, cursive words that spelled out the title.

This one had been her mother's favorite. The copy that she had at home had long since been worn out from continuous rereads, and Katie wanted to give her a fresh, new one.

She smiled sadly, remembering the memories attached to this book. Her eyes pricked with tears, but she blinked so none would come falling down. She'd cried much more than she should've over the course of one day, causing her eyes to feel twice as heavy despite her long hours of naps.

The door to the dormitory clicked open, causing Katie to look upwards to the newcomers. In stepped Lily, Remus, and James.

Remus and James each held a bag in their hands, smiling sheepishly at her. "Pads and Wormtail are hard at work putting together a little something for you. They'll come visit later." James dumped the candies that were in the bag into the jar resting on her bedside table.

"How's our girl doing?" James asked hopefully, though the usual lightness in his tone was gone. He had bags under his eyes too, the puffiness just very slightly noticeable.

One side of Katie's lips perked slightly upwards but returned back to a neutral line. "Tired."

"We brought you some treats. Buttons made them 'specially for you," Remus said, handing her the bag he was holding.

"Thanks." She opened the bag slightly, glad to find a cookie and some muffins inside. Normally, she'd be elated, but there was an emptiness in her stomach that made her feel as if anything she'd attempt to eat would be emptied right back out.

Lily walked toward her, a thick, worn out book in her hands. She placed it on Katie's lap. "I couldn't find anything in the library about your vision, but I found this. Thought you might enjoy it."

She stared blankly at the cover, not quite succeeding in her attempt to smile. "Thanks, I'll put it on my list. I've still got plenty," she said, running her fingertips along the books she'd gotten for her mother.