22

"I can't believe she finally left and you sitting here moping around." Myles said to Duke. He heard the news from the group chat that Arianna gave him the ring and left. Three days later, she was escorted to the house by police officers to grab all of her clothes, shoes and DJ's things.

"I'm moping because you drag me to this damn bar and nobody's in here." Duke replied. Myles looked around the bar and it was only six people inside.

"I didn't even notice." Myles nonchalantly stated. It was his favorite spot to chill when he wanted to be alone.

"So what's up man? Tell me about life, the work spot or baby mama drama. Every time we hang out you always sad. Tell me what's up." Myles changed the subject.

Duke look at his friend and smirk. He appreciated his best friend Myles for always being there and listening to his problems. Everyone else seemed to use him for social networking or getting free gifts from him.

"Dawg, remember I went to DC for the position my dad got me and I turned it down?" Myles nodded his head.

"Last week I told him I'll do it again. This time it's in Philadelphia. The thing is I don't really want to do the job because I'll be in a long term position and I can't just quit or get out whenever I want to."

"Are you going to be moving Miley and Brittany?" Myles asked referring to white substances. Everyone knew Duke's father was known for years for supply and demanding a lot supplies.

Duke shook his head and answered no. He was too ashamed to tell anyone what kind of business he was in. It's hard for him to believe this business is what paid for him to live the life he always had growing up and even now.

"Getting into that shit with Jeremiah was the worst mistake of my life." He put his hands over his eyes.

Myles sat on the right side of him. He looked at his friend drown in regret. He didn't know the full story of Duke and Jeremiah. He only knew about the robbing people in college. He knew it had to be deeper than what he was told.

He always knew Jeremiah was a bad influence on Duke but he knew Duke saw his cousin more of a brother. Jeremiah wasn't someone you would let mentor your kids or even speak to them. Everyone in their circle knew he was a gruesome individual. He was always on ten and always calling women out there name in public and touching inappropriately when they all we out. He never had any decorum; he was uncomfortable to be around.

"You need to prayer and ask for forgiveness. Whatever you did wrong is up to the most high to decide on. The best thing for you to do is stop hanging around your cousin. He's a reminder of the guilt and shame you have done to each person you stole from."

"I know man. I really fucked up and I can't change the past. Prayer don't even help." He blew out. He place his hands on the beer bottle in front of him and tapped it.

"Have you at least tried to contact at least one victim to ask for forgiveness? Even if they don't accept it, you did your part."

"I tried to and I kind of start catching feelings for the girl. Invited her out with Arianna and I last year. She came but she don't really know who I am." Duke let out.

"Bro what the hell! How did you even do that?"

"She's friends with Arianna. Christmas night I met her at a hotel near the airport and slept with her. I'm in love with her. I can't get her out my head." Duke continued.

"When I met her last year I felt she's the one I need to meet at the alter. I keep having these dreams that we got married and life is great. Everything about her is the total opposite of what I've been dealing with in the past ten —eleven years. When I'm driving home I think I'm going home to her."

Myles sat in his seat flabbergasted. Duke told him all the time his wasn't in love with Arianna and it would be a huge mistake to marry her. What was his reason for keep her around? The pregnancy. Duke wanted to make sure her wellness and shelter was okay to birth his son. He didn't need her stress so he kept her happy the entire nine months.

Now, hearing about the new woman is a mistake for Duke. He couldn't actually love the woman for who she really is. He was running off of regret and emotion.

Myles sat at the bar with his friend and carefully told him to meet with the victim. Duke needs to tell her about the actions of his past and apologize for what lead them to the Christmas tryst. Even if the lady didn't forgive him, at least is coming from a honest and genuine place.

Duke told his best friend that he appreciated him for taking the time to hear him out and give him advice. He didn't have anybody in her life who actually knew the treacherous story and empathize with him. Jeremiah knew Duke's true feelings for the particular victim but he could care less for the woman because he what he did to her and would do it again to slice Duke's feelings.