Chapter 3

Taking a break from his usual duties, Orion's curiosity begged for him to revisit the words of his dear friend. What Megatronus said had been troubling and equally intriguing. Orion wanted to learn more.

Was there really a need to fight for equality? Wasn't life on Cybertron fair already? It was difficult for Orion to imagine the need but the more he thought, the more he remembered just how little he was aware of these situations. Most of his life had been spent at Iacon under Alpha Trion's care. Since the sudden death of his parents, his life became that of a clerk who roamed the great halls. Orion wished he knew more about his past family. It was difficult for Alpha Trion to speak of it which often puzzled him.

Finding some files he thought might enlighten him, Orion spent some time reading history and learning what he could about the governing Council. As he studied, there wasn't anything obvious to alarm him. The goal of the Council was to ensure the safety and growth of their people, to honor Primus and all his sacrifices. He kept his optics open for evidence of what Megatronus said existed among the people.

He was pulled away from his studying for a moment to put away some new files that were sent from the upper floors to be sorted. After putting them in their proper shelves, he returned to his reading. Megatronus' advice had been to read up on their government's establishment but he was puzzled as to where the corruption was. Cybertron could only be what it was because Primus dedicated his spark as the core and gave way for the Primes to create a Council that would govern the people and keep the peace. Was the problem lying in the fact that the Council had all power? Orion never saw an issue with this and still failed to understand Megatronus' view of things.

In his confusion and distraction, Orion failed to notice the rest of the files coming in and a pile soon formed. Hours passed. When he finally paid attention to the mess, Alpha Trion had already found him.

"Please forgive me, sir." Orion grabbed two cylinders from the pile and busied himself sorting them into the chutes that would transport each one to their proper shelf. The loading room was piled full, more than usual. Reports of the Gladiators' reform were flooding in.

"This is odd for you," Alpha Trion replied, arms crossed as he watched Orion stumble over the mess. "Are you well?"

"Yes, just behind. I apologize." Orion hadn't made eye contact with Alpha Trion as he rushed through his work. He sorted through files and transmissions, continuing to send the cylinders down their chutes.

"No need. You've been awfully quiet since the trip with Aerial and now you're behind on your work. This isn't normal behavior for you, Orion."

Orion knew he was always on top of things, devoted to his work and regarded it as his greatest pride. There was truth to what Alpha Trion said, though. "I just got distracted by my studying. I promise it will not happen again."

"Hmm..." Alpha Trion picked up one of the opened cylinders and tried not to tease. "Interested in politics now, are we?"

Orion paused, embarrassed. "Yes." He stopped his work to finally face his mentor. "I've been intrigued by it since yesterday. What Megatronus spoke about irked me to learn something I never really cared about before."

"And what is it that you've learned so far?"

"The foundation of the Council, their methods of justice, the role the Primes play..." Orion shrugged. "Nothing that matches what the gladiators said, though. They suggested that our government is unfair, that equality is something we lack."

"Ah. So that is their agenda."

"You disagree with it?"

"Now, I didn't say that," Alpha Trion corrected. "There is yet to be a Cybertronian devoid of imperfection. That being said, where there is one, there will be flaws. I am certain our government is riddled with them, which is why the Council is giving the gladiators a voice during this time. They wish to hear the concerns of the people."