Chapter 10

It was late one evening, I had been eating a snack in the kitchen before hearing the roar of the crew coming in from one of their late night parties, I rolled my eyes and decided to retire to my room. I grabbed my water bottle and my book and tried my best to get around them, but was blocked by one of the body-building goons.

"So Devon tell me..." He started.

I could smell the alcohol on his breath and took a step back in disgust. He was a big dude, attractive, but his face screamed douche bag. A few others gathered beside him.

"I uh, didn't catch your name" I tried to make friendly conversation.

"Brett" He scoffed, "How do you like it here?" He asked sneering.

The others murmured in agreement at his question.

I started feeling uncomfortable, and tried to maintain my distance.

"It's pretty nice" I lied, hoping not to anger him in any way. He seemed like a loose cannon.

"Oh yeah? How does it feel to be treated like a princess?" He took another step towards me.

"I mean yeah, it's great. I think I'm going to go back to my room now if you don't mind." I tried to quickly shuffle past him through the door way but he grabbed my arm tightly.

"You know... I could show you how it feels to be MY princess" he smiled evilly. The others snickered and cheered him on.

"Or I could show you" another one said.

"Let go Brett!" I tried to pull my arm away but his grip was firm and he pulled me closer to him.

"Or we could all show you what it's like".

Tears started to well up in my eyes; there was nothing I could do. Who would hear me if I screamed? Three of them were moving in, I began to push and shove, they did nothing but laugh. Brett ran his finger from my cheek to my neck and kept going downwards. I began to cry.

"Oh don't cry beautiful, I'll make you feel better than you've ever felt"

"Brett don't do this!" I pleaded, my voice getting louder in hopes someone would hear, tears streaming down my face. He and a few others snickered again, blood thirsty and unpredictable. His hand traced the shoulder of my shirt and began pulling it off my arm as another held me in place.

"GET AWAY!" I squirmed and shrieked.

"What in the FUCK is going on?!" I heard a familiar voice boom from behind me. Suddenly their grip loosened and they all turned in fear. I fell to the floor because I was pulling so desperately to get away, I scrambled back to my feet, unsure where to go.

"Oh uh, nothing boss! We were just having a little fun-" BAM, a fist to the head.

Instantly Brett was on the ground and Lincoln grabbed me, swinging me behind his back so he was between me and the boys. The others backed up as Duke came on to the scene and pushed them all away, holding them back behind his outstretched arms leaving just Brett and Lincoln. Brett stood up and went to retaliate for the headshot he had just received. He swung once, twice. Missing both times as Lincoln easily dodged his attacks, shoving him back to the ground and placing another shot directly to the face. Suddenly Lincoln lifted his shirt and pulled out a gun and pointed it straight at his head. Brett froze and put his hands in the air.

"Woah! Boss! I'm sorry! It- it was just a little prank! We- we weren't going to really anything! It won't happen again!"

"You're damn right it won't," he moved the gun from his head to his leg and pulled the trigger. I was mortified, my ears were ringing, still crying from before and crying more now from the fear I was now experiencing.

Would I be next? Did he think it was mutual?

Lincoln returned his gun to it's holster and backed up to me, grabbing me and pulling me to his back, holding me with his arm and hiding me from the sight of a yelling Brett and the blood that was pooling on the floor. Maybe he wasn't mad at me.

"If any of you... EVER touch her, or come that close to her again. It will be your head." They all said 'yes boss' in a frightened and ashamed way. "Now get this piece of shit out of my sight and clean up this mess". They all scattered.

He let go and turned to me, lifting my chin to look into his eyes. "Go to your room RIGHT now," I nodded and tried to contain the sobs.

I quickly ran up the stairs to my room and shut the door, locking it behind me and jumping into the bed, covering myself with a blanket. I began to cry as my mind wandered to what could have happened if Lincoln hadn't shown up.

Stop it Devon! Don't think like that!

But it was hard not too. I was startled when a few minutes later there was a knock on my door. I frightfully got up and ran to the other side of my room.

"Go- go away!" I blurted between breaths.

"Devon... It's me." Lincoln replied.

"I don't want to see you!" I cried.

"I don't care, let me in."

"No!"

"Devon... You know I have a key..." He replied tenderly.

"Then- use it- or go away." I sobbed.

I watched as he opened the door and looked at me. I hadn't seen him this way before, his demeanor was kind and gentle, not his usual arrogant self.

He stood there for a moment staring at me, his eyes filled with concern and hatred, though I could see them soften as he looked in to mine. Tears welled up again and I backed further away from him, I was afraid. He walked towards me as I had now cornered myself and grabbed me, pulling me in to his chest and holding me firmly with his arms wrapped around my back. My silent tears turned into loud sobs as the overwhelming feelings of everything collided all at once.

Being forced to live here, those god-awful boys and what could have happened. I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts to even notice Lincoln pick me up and pull me close to his body. He walked over to the bed and laid me down, laying himself down next to me simply to hold me. I tried to roll away and squirm from his grip, but he didn't flinch. I was taken back by this softer side of him, he wasn't saying anything, wasn't trying to do anything, he was just being there, and I didn't have the capacity to fight it.

My crying began to quiet, and I could feel myself getting drowsy, as one does after they've been crying a lot. I was fighting the urge to drift off, I hated that he was even seeing me in this vulnerable state. As though he knew what I was thinking, his grip tightened and he snuggled up closer to me.

"Go to sleep." He slid my body against his and pulled a blanket over us.

"No," I protested, as my eyes got heavier and heavier. He held me so tight I couldn't get away if I wanted to, I finally quit struggling and the tension in my body started to leave. I couldn't help but fall asleep. I woke up a few times during the night, thinking he would be gone, but every time I found myself comforted by his presence, feeling like he would never let anything happen to me.