Chapter Fifty-Eight

Start from the beginning

He reaches over to where he set his phone down and grabs it, dialing Vittorio's number. We sit anxiously as it rings waiting for him to pick up, finally he answers, "Hey."

"He sounds busy, maybe we should call another time," I whisper.

"Hey," Mateo says, "How's college?"

"It's fine, what's up?" He says.

"Do you have to travel anytime soon?" Mateo asks.

"Not that I know of, I'll let you know if I do though. Why?"

"Can we visit you?" Mateo asks before Vittorio finishes his sentence.

He pauses, "'We' who?"

"Me and Maddie," Mateo says.

He doesn't answer immediately, "I mean, that's complicated, I don't expect Sandro to just let me take his little sister to Seattle—"

"I can ask him," I say. "But you have to ask with us," Mateo adds.

"Hey Maddie," Vittorio says, realizing I'm here, "I don't know if—"

"And we'll ask mom, she wants Maddie to be happy, and Maddie would be happy if we visit you—"

"Why do you want to visit?" He asks suspiciously

I start to feel guilty, "Well, I wanted to visit my friends, they live in Seattle near the school, and I kind of wanted to visit them—"

"And you can drive us there," Mateo says.

I realize we're all but whispering like it's a secret or something, especially the way we both jump when the door opens and Xander looks inside. 

"What are you 2 whispering about?" He says, narrowing his eyes.

"None of your business," Mateo says.

He sees Vittorio on the phone on speaker and looks like he's about to say something. Mateo gets up and closes and locks the door. I giggle a little as Mateo comes and sits back down. "We wont just visit her friends, we can stay for a couple days." Vittorio laughs a little on the other line, "You don't have to pity visit, Teo. You're always asking to visit. And you're always welcome, Maddie." I brighten up a little, smiling.

I hear a bunch of chatter on his end, "Ask mom about it, okay?"

"But you have to ask too," Mateo reminds him.

The chatter grows up, it sounds like a bunch of college students are about to stampede him, "I'll talk to her tomorrow. Hey, I'll call you guys later, alright? Love you, Mads," He says.

"Love you too."

"Wait, do you love me?!" Mateo says. Vittorio hangs up. I suppress my laugh.

"Stupid brothers. I'm telling my mom on him. Speaking of, come on let's ask her. She should be in a decent mood."

We hurry down the stairs, it's dark outside now, the downstairs lights are on in most of the room, but most of everybody is in the living room. Zia Cecilia is leaving the kitchen, on her way through the foyer and into the living room, we catch her.

"Mom!" "Zia Cecilia!"

She looks at us, slowing down so we can walk with her, her dark hair is pulled pack into a messy bun, a few strands falling around her face. "What's up, lovelies?"

We walk with her into the living room as Mateo explains it, we walk on either side of her as she listens. We stop in the doorway of the living room, her head cocked slightly to the head. I do that inadvertently when I'm thinking, so does she? I smile a lot around my family I've realized. It's for little things that they don't even recognize.

"I don't know, ultimately, it's up to Sandro I guess. I don't know how much I can do."

"Can you ask him?" I ask unsurely. 

"Of course I can," She says with a smile, "I just can't promise he'll say yes."

I realize Xander watching us whisper in the doorway, he looks incredibly suspicious. 

"But off to bed, you 2, it's almost midnight."

"What?! Mom! It's Christmas Eve!"

"Santa won't leave you any gifts if you don't go to sleep."

"Santa's not real, I'm not an idiot, I literally saw you and dad wrapping the gifts," Mateo protests as she ushers us toward the stairs.

"Shh," She says to Mateo.

I haven't seen Francesco, Elijah, Emilio, or Sandro and I'm assuming they left to take care of business. I know they do work here sometimes, its where they go when they leave New York. My stomach is in knots as I remember, their work is the mafia, the thought of what they do makes me feel sick to my stomach.

"Goodnight, Maddie," Carlo says, pulling me into a hug.

"Goodnight," Xander mutters, holding his hand out for a high-five. I give him a high-five. Despite Zia Cecilia's scolds, I don't mind high-fiving good night sometimes, I'm still not 100% with physical affection.

I don't argue though, "Goodnight, Zia Cecilia," I say, she hugs Mateo and then holds her arms out as to present the offer for a hug. 

I hug her as well.