Chapter 68: Mom & Dad

Start from the beginning

Shane was a nervous wreck, but he was keeping it together. There were a lot of moving parts, he had said, and he was stressing out trying to make sure that we had the right documents and everything we needed to finalize the adoption.

"Alrighty, it's been a few years since I've done this," Shane explained as he stared at the road ahead as he continued down the highway. "But the judge will ask all of us some questions and decide if we can move forward with everything officially." He explained as if he were talking to Jas, but you appreciated the information as well. "If we're approved, we'll sign some papers and that's that."

"What happens if we don't get approved?" You asked, realizing that this process might not be as straightforward as you had previously thought. Your mind started to race. Could this jeopardize Shane and Jas' relationship? Would you be able to try again? What if you didn't have everything right and it ruins everything?

Shane instantly picked up on the early signs of your panicking and rubbed your leg calmingly. "We're definitely going to get approved." He smiled at you, putting your concerns to rest. "But worst case scenario, we have to try again in a month or so. I'm not worried at all, sweetheart."

"Can we go out to eat after?" Jas interrupted, clearly not perturbed by the gravity of what was being discussed. "That would be so much fun! Please, Uncle Shane!"

You shot each other a knowing look before your husband responded. "Of course, we can go out to eat." He laughed. "I think there's a little restaurant on the same block."

Jas squealed something in high-pitched excitement. It didn't take very long to arrive in Zuzu City, however, you still had a bit of driving left before you made it to the heart of the city where the courthouse resided. Despite your time living in Zuzu City before moving to Stardew Valley, you had hardly been to this part of town, and it all felt unfamiliar. In fact, the entirety of Zuzu City felt cold and unfamiliar as you drove deeper into it, silently proving to you that the Valley was truly becoming your home.

You finally arrived at the old granite courthouse and Shane had not been kidding, there were easily a hundred marble stairs leading up to the grandiose building. Knowing the inevitable, Shane picked up Jas to carry her up the stairs and the three of you set off. If you hadn't been so preoccupied with everything that was going on, you would have noticed that it was a gorgeous day outside, especially given that you were in the last days of Spring.

Once you had made your way inside, Shane checked in with the secretary while you and Jas made yourselves comfortable on the leather couches in the lobby's waiting area. "We're a little early, but they should call on us in a few minutes," Shane said as he returned and sat down next to you. He wrapped his arm around you, pulling you in as close as he could and leaning his head down on yours.

You knew that it was a big deal for you to adopt Jas and that Shane had taken every necessary (and unnecessary) caution to make sure that you were emotionally prepared for it, but you hadn't considered the emotional effect that today was having on him. It dawned on you that the last time he was in this building was shortly after he had lost his brother, when he felt that he would be a horrible parent to Jas. You wanted to support him, but you knew there was little you could do to help. So, instead, you hugged him back and nuzzled in even closer, letting him know that you were there for him.

"Eww," Jas said in fake disgust at your affection. "You guys are gross."

"Whatever," Shane said sarcastically, rolling his eyes and laughing with his niece, as he sat up straight.

Before anyone could say anything else, two large and intricately carved wooden doors on the other side of the room opened up, and an attendant called, "Case #4596?"

"That's us," Shane spoke in a soft, hurried manner as he stuck his hand out to signal to the attendant that we were there. You helped Jas up and the three of you walked across the tiled floor and into a room of even more splendor, if that was possible.

Sitting behind a large, marble judicial bench sat a judge. The platform was raised so she towered over the room, asserting her authority. Short, tight gray curls covered her head as she peered at you through a pair of bright red cat-eye glasses. "Case #4596?" She clarified. While her voice was not low-pitched, it still managed to reverberate through the large room.

"Uh, yes. That's us." Shane reaffirmed as the three of you walked to take your place in front of you.

"Good." She responded, flipping over some papers on her desk. "You are here to file for the custody and adoption of Jasmine, correct?"

"Yes." Shane nodded. You had never seen him so solemn before. The judge's interactions were short and concise, and your husband matched the pace.

"Is Shane, Jasmine's father present?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Can you verify her date of birth?"

"Summer 4, your honor."

"You adopted Jasmine almost eight years ago, and you intend to expand custody to (Y/N) as well?"

"Yes."

"What is the nature of your relationship with (Y/N)?"

"She's my wife," Shane replied, turning to look at you with a loving stare.

The judge smiled softly as she read something on her desk. "Well, I'm impressed with the written testament you provided regarding her character and parental aptitude."

"Thank you." He responded as he looked back at the judge. Written testament? You knew it was impossible, but suddenly you wanted to know what Shane had said about you more than anything else. You were pulled from your thoughts as the judge continued speaking.

"Is (Y/N) present?" She asked, turning to look at you.

"Yes, I'm here." You smiled, unsure of exactly what to say. The judge seemed both serious and kind, and you wanted to try and fall into the same rhythm.

She put her hands together on her desk as her face turned more serious. "(Y/N), you would like to adopt Jasmine and accept the responsibilities of being her custodian, and you fully understand what this entails?"

Surprising even yourself, you felt incredibly confident as you responded, "Yes, I do."

"Well, then. Everything in your files looks great. I'm impressed with the diligence taken in this paperwork." She looked through more papers before returning her attention to your family. "Now, for the most important question." She turned to look at Jas. "Jasmine, do you want (Y/N) to adopt you?"

"Yes!" She cheered.

"Wonderful. Then it is settled." She paused for a moment to let everything sink in. "According to the courts of Zuzu City and the Ferngill Republic, the adoption of Jasmine by (Y/N) has been approved."

You couldn't help but smile at the same time you heard Shane let out a small sigh of excitement and relief as the judge began to explain the instructions for what to do next. "One of our attendants will take you to a private room to sign official papers, and then the adoption will be complete." She smiled at your group. "Congratulations, I wish your family the absolute best for the future."

"Thank you so much." Shane beamed as an attendant began to lead you and Jas back through the lobby.

"Of course. Oh, and happy early birthday, Jasmine." The judge smiled. "I hope you all have a wonderful day." 

And with that, you were a parent. Jas was your daughter, too, not just Shane's. And nothing made you happier. 

✏️ A/N: Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it! This chapter is part of the "1.6 Update," so the next installment, Chapter 69: The Supermarket Struggle, is out today! xoxo Kira