Extras (Bg Info, Concepts, + Art stuff)

Welcome to the "behind the scenes" chapter! I'm just gonna ramble for a while (almost 3.5k words uh oh) about my process with this, a lot of background information, and share some bonus/concept art(mostly sketchbook stuff)! I hope the formatting doesn't mess up... again.

First off, thanks to anyone who stuck around to read this. It means a lot to me! This was mostly for fun and to mess around with a few concepts, but also to practice writing again. This is also my first ever fanfic I've completed and published. I've written some in the past for other fandoms, but either never posted and/or finished them.

A lot of the reason why I was even debating posting this was the fear of accidentally copying others' ideas. Though, I'm over that, since it's just bound to happen with how late I joined this fandom, and how many continuations/post-ONE 18 fics there are. Any ideas that might've been taken from other stories were unintentional. Aside from one exception, I tried avoiding continuation fanfics.

That said, I want to mention that there was some heavy inspiration from Jellyjelly Spaghetti's "ONE 19: A Burnt Wick" (On YouTube) for chapter 1! Just something I thought I should mention closer to the top of this chapter.

Okay, now that that stuff's outta the way, let's get into the main part of this bts! A lot of this part is gonna be rapid-fire, so excuse the lack of transitions lol

So, I briefly mentioned it in the synopsis, but this story was actually written way before it was posted. Some editing was done during these past three weeks, but the majority of the story was done by Chapter 1's posting.

Started: Jan 12, 2024, Finished: Mar 30, 2024

Total Word Count (excluding titles and A/Ns):  21,363 words

So over two months of slow progress! Like I said, I was trying to keep editing to a minimum. At some point, I was just like "Okay, no matter how I feel about the story later, I'm just gonna have to post it now. Otherwise, perfectionism takes over and it never gets done, or I'll find other work to do."

I was extremely tempted to make certain changes while posting these, but I'll be discussing that, since none of those changes ever happened. I probably could've chosen a better time to post these as well. I started posting during my Spring Break, but I wasn't anticipating just how busy my schedule would get right after the break!

I should also note that I'm super new to this fandom and the object show community in general, having joined on New Year's of 2024! Also, no, I still haven't gotten around to watching BFDI, even though I know I really should. I'm hoping to get to that soon, if my schedule ever wants to clear up 🙃.

This is also a good time to mention that this was originally going to be six chapters! It was going to focus on getting the rest of the contestants out and that was it. Adding the second arc of developing Liam and Airy was thought of in February. I felt I needed a smoother transition between ending the competition and Liam dragging Airy back to Earth to keep him in check. I also just wanted to tackle their dynamic a bit!

The very cover art of Fallback was meant to be a thumbnail drawing, but I liked it so much that I kept it the way it was! It was also the second rendition of a cover. The first was focused on the first arc of freeing the contestants.

 The first was focused on the first arc of freeing the contestants