Ch. XX ✡Rekindling Friendship✡

Start from the beginning

Your eyes soften. Out of everyone else here, she's the one whose been working the hardest to bring this new hotel to completion. There's been some nights where you've witnessed her sneak out of her shared tent with Vaggie to continue working on the hotel, long after everyone went to sleep, when in reality she should've been sleeping as well, to get a proper full charge of her battery before having to drain it the next day.

She's been running on little to no juice, using coffee to keep her eyelids open for a few hours before running to more coffee to stay awake. It made you feel a little bad. She's passionate about this hotel, her dream to rehabilitate sinners who she sees has a second chance at a better hand in the afterlife everyone is forced to live. She's so determined about this goal that she's putting her health last.

It's a little funny, Alastor himself had to step in and confront you about the same thing you were dealing with when the hotel was entering its early stages of being rebuilt. Now, you find yourself stopping what you were doing and walking over to her with two bottles of water in hand, touching her shoulder softly when your close enough. "Need a rest?"

Charlie jumps a little from the sudden hand being placed on her shoulder, but when her eyes meet yours, she exhales a breath of relief to calm her scared heart. "Oh, no thanks, Y/N. I'm fine," she turns back to the wall, swinging her hammer back to perform the final hit to the nail head she's working on. But...she accidentally hits her finger instead.

"Ouch!" she drops the hammer and nail, aggressively swinging her hand as if it's on fire before bringing her hurt finger to her lips to suck a little. "Damn it," she sighs deeply, which you can tell is not only because of the pain in her finger, but about the entire situation everyone has been thrown into and forced to endure and try to make the best out of.

She's overwhelmed. A feeling you live with most of everyday.

You wrap your arm around her, patting her shoulder as you turn to bring her away from the construction site to go and sit under the only shade tree on this hill that overlooks Pentagram city. "Ten minutes won't kill you. Besides, you need the break. You look like you're getting heatstroke and sunburn." You pass her your bottle of water along with hers when you notice how her pale skin is beginning to turn red. "You probably need the water more than I do. Now come on, let's go sit in the shade."

"Y/N--" Charlie starts to protest, obviously not waiting to follow you, but in the end, she forces herself to be led by you to the shade tree, where you both then sit down, legs tucked under your bodies while hands rest on top hers and your kneecaps. Even she herself can't deny that she feels like she might throw up any second if she continues to stay out in the sunlight. So, though she won't admit it just yet, she's glad you took the initiative to drag her away when she herself was incapable of leaving on her own.

Charlie twists the bottle cap open to take a few long drinks of fresh water imported from the Earth realm for the Morningstar family. After her final swallow, she sighs deeply in content, feeling the little bit of water running down her dry and cracked throat before she leans her back up against the tree to get comfortable. "Earth water tastes so much better then Hell's version of water."

You chuckle at this. "Isn't Hell's water demon piss that's been mixed with Earth's water and a tad bit of diluted alcohol?"
Charlie groans in a disgusted way, holding a hand to her stomach as if she feels sick. "Yes. I swear one day I'll make sure all of Hell gets fresh water. Not even the worst sinner imaginable should be forced to drink...THAT!"

You laugh aloud, your head softly shaking at her somewhat child-like attitude and doll like face scrunching up at the mere thought of a demon forced to consume a dozen's others urine diluted in water and alcohol to cover up the piss flavor. It's an unimaginable thing, yet it is the truth. Poor souls are indeed forced to drink it, because it's all they have that isn't JUST alcohol.