Chapter 11: Sleepless in Seoul

Author's POV

The air in the practice room hung heavy with a tension Melody couldn't quite place. Bangchan, usually a whirlwind of energy, moved through the choreography like a man possessed. His eyes, rimmed with a faint red, darted around the room with a jittery intensity. His normally bright smile was replaced by a grimace, his movements stiff and lacking their usual fluidity.

Melody watched him with growing concern. Over the past week, Bangchan had transformed into a living shadow of his former self. Gone was the infectious enthusiasm that usually filled the room. He spent his nights locked away in the studio, fueled by an unhealthy amount of instant ramen and even stronger coffee. The dark circles under his eyes seemed to grow larger with each passing day.

The other members weren't much better. They practiced with a forced cheer, their usual playful banter muted. Melody could see the worry etched on their faces, a silent language that spoke volumes. Changbin, usually the picture of stoicism, kept throwing worried glances towards Bangchan. Han, the group's resident goofball, seemed unusually subdued, his jokes falling flat.

The girls weren't oblivious either. Beth, nestled beside Melody, furrowed her brow as she watched Hyunjin attempt a particularly energetic move, his usual grace noticeably lacking.

"Hyunjin seems a bit off, doesn't he?" Beth whispered, her voice laced with concern.

Melody nodded, her heart sinking. "It's not just him," she replied softly. "Everyone seems... on edge."

They both stole another glance at Bangchan. He stumbled through a particularly intricate step, his face contorting in frustration. A groan escaped his lips, and for a terrifying moment, Melody thought he might collapse.

Just then, June, their ever-observant dance instructor, called for a break. Relief washed over Melody as everyone sank gratefully to the floor. Bangchan, however, remained standing, his eyes glued to the mirrored wall. He ran a hand through his hair, a gesture that spoke of exhaustion more than frustration.

Melody knew they couldn't keep pretending everything was okay. Bangchan was pushing himself to the breaking point, and it was starting to affect everyone around him. She exchanged a worried look with Beth, a silent pact forming between them.

They would get to the bottom of this. Their leader, their friend, was slowly fading away, and they wouldn't let it happen without a fight.

The break stretched longer than usual, a tense silence hanging in the air. Bangchan had left to go to his studio to ""Check on something"" Melody, unable to bear the worry any longer, nudged Beth with her elbow.

"We need to talk to him," Melody whispered, her voice firm despite the tremor in her heart.

Beth nodded, her fiery red hair catching the light streaming through the window. They stood, their movements drawing the attention of the others.

"We'll be right back," Melody announced, casting a reassuring smile at the rest of the group.

Following Beth down the hallway, Melody could practically feel the worried stares burning into their backs. Reaching the door to the studio, the familiar hum of synthesizers filtered through the wood. Melody took a deep breath, steeling her nerves.

"Bangchan?" she called out, knocking softly.

A muffled grunt came from inside. Hesitantly, Melody pushed open the door, Beth following close behind.

The studio was a mess. Crumpled papers littered the floor, overflowing ashtrays sat precariously on desks, and half-eaten ramen bowls were scattered about. In the center of it all, sat Bangchan, his head buried in his hands, his shoulders slumped in defeat.

The sight tugged at Melody's heartstrings. This wasn't the confident, energetic leader she knew. This was a broken man, lost in a self-destructive cycle.

"Hey," Melody said softly, her voice barely a whisper.

Bangchan looked up, his eyes red-rimmed and vacant. A flicker of surprise crossed his face before it was quickly replaced by a tired smile.

"Hey yourselves," he mumbled, his voice raspy. "What's up?"

Beth stepped forward, her gaze unwavering. "We're worried about you, Bangchan," she said, her voice firm yet gentle. "You haven't been yourself lately."

Bangchan sighed, rubbing his tired eyes. "I'm just... stressed," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "I want this comeback to be perfect, and the pressure is getting to me."

Melody crossed the room and sat down on the stool next to him. "But pushing yourself this hard isn't going to make it perfect," she said, reaching out to touch his arm. "It's just going to break you."

Bangchan flinched at her touch, a flicker of pain crossing his eyes. "I..." he stammered, his voice thick with emotion. "I just want to make everyone proud. I don't want to let anyone down."

Melody squeezed his arm gently. "You'll never let us down, Bangchan. We're a team, remember? And teams support each other. We're here for you, every step of the way."

Silence filled the room, broken only by the soft hum of the synthesizers. Beth offered a sympathetic smile. "Look, we all know you're passionate, Bangchan. But take it from us, sometimes a step back is what you need to move forward."

Bangchan looked from Melody to Beth, his gaze holding a mixture of exhaustion and something akin to hope.

"You really think so?" he asked.

Melody nodded. "We do," she said, putting a hand over his. "We just want you to take care of yourself. Because a healthy and well-rested Bangchan is a million times more valuable than a sleep-deprived, overworked one."

A long pause followed, filled with unspoken emotions. Finally, Bangchan let out a defeated sigh.

"Alright," he conceded, his voice cracking slightly. "Maybe you're right."

A wave of relief washed over Melody and Beth. They hadn't solved all of Bangchan's problems, but they had planted a seed of self-awareness. Now, they just needed to nurture it.

With a shared smile, the girls helped Bangchan clean up the studio, throwing away the empty ramen bowls and crumpled papers. Slowly, they coaxed him out of the creative abyss he'd plunged himself into, replacing it with the promise of a good night's sleep, a healthy meal, and most importantly, the unwavering support of his friends.