Chapter 15: Anger

Despite waking up late once again, Marinette was in a surprisingly good mood when she arrived at school the next day. Was it because of Chat's visit? Yes. Would she ever admit it? No. Did she ask him to come again whenever he could? Maybe. And she was planning on baking some treats as soon as she came back home. Which was totally unrelated to his next visit, of course.

He had asked her about the article and Lyssa. And, once again, she had answered honestly. Now, five people knew the truth about the famous pigeon incident. She knew that she could trust Alya and Chat, after all, they both also had their load of secrets. As for Chloe and Sabrina, they were responsible for the incident, they wouldn't tell anyone.

The hero had believed her instantly. She was incredibly thankful for that. He trusted her as Ladybug, she was used to having him follow her orders without a second thought. But this was different. Because he had believed Marinette, not his hero partner.

The rest of the evening had passed joyfully, between laughs and games. He had left late in the night and she had stared after him with a soft smile on her face until Tikki had reminded her that she needed to sleep, too.

"You look surprisingly happy for someone who was accused of writing a horrible article about the supposed 'heroine of Paris'." Alya observed.

"As long as my friends believe me, that's enough." was her friend's only explanation.

"But that has bothered you all night long, hasn't it? You haven't slept much."

She was referring to the dark circles that underlined the bluenette's eyes. True, the designer didn't get enough sleep. But the reason was Chat's late night visit, nothing else.

Nino turned around to join the conversation. "I know someone else who had too much on his mind to sleep."

He pointed at Adrien who was too focused on trying to keep his eyes open to listen to the teacher or his friends. Contrary to Marinette, who had at least had half a night of good sleep, he hadn't been able to rest. Lyssa, the article, Marinette, Chloe, Lila, Ladybug. Everything he had been sure of was possibly wrong. Maybe Lyssa wasn't Ladybug. Maybe Chloe didn't hate Marinette after all. Maybe Ladybug had a link with Marinette. Maybe something had happened between Marinette and Lyssa for them to hate each other this much. And in the midst of it stood Lila.

He had come to some conclusions. One: he didn't like Lyssa. Two: he should have listened more closely to Marinette's warnings. Three: Lyssa was trying to accuse the designer with no apparent reason. And maybe, just maybe, he enjoyed the latter's company more than he thought.

But that didn't help him out at all. What was he supposed to do? The only logical thing would be to break up with Lyssa. Problem: if he did, it would mean refusing to support her when she was down. People would surely believe that he did it only because of the article. He couldn't do that.

Then what? He could take Marinette's side. That was what he was planning on doing. But to what extent? He couldn't support Lyssa emotionally while taking the opposite side.

He shook his head. He needed to focus on the class. Nino and Alya whispering behind his back didn't help him at all. He was tempted to listen. He was tempted to turn around and strike a conversation with the Marinette. But he was in class and Lyssa was sitting only two rows behind him.

The morning washed over him like an endless torture. When the bell signaling lunchtime rang, he slumped on his table with a sigh of relief. Then Nino stood up and he realized that he had to walk towards the canteen. Sighed again, in defeat, this time.

But before he could stand up, too, Lyssa made her way in front of the class, where Miss Bustier stood before leaving the room.

"Everyone, please stay, I have something I need to tell you." she announced.