Chapter 4: Thoughts

"What would you do if... you learned that Ladybug was in your class?" Marinette asked.

Chat Noir stiffened. No way. Just an hour ago, the girl was claiming that Lyssa couldn't possibly be the heroine. He wasn't sure about it himself. But Lyssa left the classroom right after Marinette, probably to join her. What did she do to convince the stubborn girl?

"Sorry, that's probably a too personal question, isn't it?" she brushed it off.

"Yes, but... is it true? I mean, how could you find out? Us heroes, we're not supposed to know each other's identities because it's dangerous, but I also know that LB wouldn't make a mistake like letting a civilian know."

"Exactly. The girl I'm talking about is Ly-"

"Wait wait wait! As much as I'd like to know, I can't!" he stopped her.

He knew whose name she wanted to say, but he had to act like he didn't know. He didn't want his own classmate and friend to get suspicious. She studied his face for a short moment and sighed.

"I know you're not allowed to. But that's not a problem. Just let me talk."

He hesitated, but finally gave in.

"Lyssa Masqué." she named. "That's her name. Everyone in class believes that she is Ladybug. She denied it, but her actions say otherwise. Over time, it has become pretty obvious. Lyssa is Ladybug. That's what the class has concluded today."

"I don't understand. What are you getting at? There must be a problem, right?"

"The problem is that she isn't. She isn't Ladybug, but I'm the only one who knows that. No matter what I say, they won't listen to me. Lyssa and her friend Lila – you probably know her, she was Volpina once –, they're liars. But here again, I'm the only one who knows that. Well, Adrien does, too, but it doesn't bother him. The day Lila was akumatized, Lila told him that she was best friends with Ladybug, but she was called out for lying by Ladybug herself right after. That's how he knows."

He looks at her, surprised. He had known that, of course, but he hadn't seen Marinette in the park that day.

"What about you? How did you know?" he asked.

"I just did. That's not the point. I tried to expose her lies, too, but I failed. Lila always has a backup excuse or lie, so the class always believes her. But one day, she... she threatened me."

He jumped up.

"She what?"

"Please don't tell anyone. I don't want them to know."

"Why?"

"Because they wouldn't believe me! Lila is a top-class liar, if I go around saying that she threatened me, do you really think that they would listen?"

"What about Adrien? Why haven't you told him?"

The expression she wore at that instant said a lot, but somehow, he couldn't understand what it meant. She didn't answer. She didn't want to. She didn't know it herself.

"That's not the problem. Not anymore." she added for herself in a mutter.

"So... you're scared that something might happen since your class believes that Lyssa is Ladybug and that she is friends with Lila. Am I wrong?"

"No."

Marinette lowered her gaze. She should probably tell him about her last conversation with Lyssa, but she didn't want to talk about it anymore. 

"I understand."

To be honest, even if he did, he felt that something was missing. The situation was too strange, something didn't add up. He knew Lyssa and Lila. Even if they lied, especially the latter, they did it to gain attention, nothing else.