17: Snakes in the grass

*Warning: Creepo POV alert, this guy is nasty, and you'll see into his mind just fine, it might be a triggering for some.

*TW: Violence and manipulation (I didn't realize how intense this actually got near the end, so fair warning, and if you feel the need to skip as you're reading, feel free, ask away, and I'll give you a summary).

Enforcer Ells sat by candle light, trying to focus on the paperwork spread out in front of him. But the parchment on the top of the pile had him stopped in his tracks, his quill digging into some other document and bleeding it through with the black ink seeping from it.

Mage Jisung, formerly known as Jisung Han. That was all that was known of his background beyond stepping into Whitehelm as a fire mage looking for trouble and a guild to join. A mage Ells was assigned to watch since he was a red magic type. A mage that had slowly consumed the Enforcer's thoughts the more he got involved with Goldenspire.

Another mage's face flashed in his mind. "He's mine."

Ells growled out in utter frustration, standing from his chair so quickly that it clattered to the floor as he sent documents flying from his desk. One document remained in place from where it was pinned down: Mage Jisung's records. His identification portrait sat with a crooked smirk shining for the world to see, flaunting himself. Flaunting his power.

The Enforcer stared down at it, breathing heavily in an attempt to ease himself. When he was so close to finding a hold over the fire mage, someone else had gotten in his way. And he felt as if he had to start from rock bottom once again.

Since he was a teen, Ells loved things of power. He loved power, and he loved taking control of it. To show that he could rule over anything and anyone, no matter how strong they were. He did not crave power for himself. He craved standing over it. Ruling it. That was the very reason he'd joined Magic Enforcement. And Mage Jisung became the object of his desire the first time he saw the mage work with his own eyes.

Every time he saw Jisung, caught a glimpse of his confident smile, that dark hair framing his strangely beautiful features, images would spill into Ells' mind, crowding his logic and growing his need. He would see the fire mage challenging him before realizing the Enforcer would not bow to him. He would see Jisung on his knees, gazing up with submissive eyes, willingly and readily listening to his every word.

Ells wanted to see Jisung bending to his will like a pet, a pet that everyone would question how he managed to tame it. A pet he could do with as he pleased.

"He's mine."

That damned Mage Minho. How had that water mage managed to find out about the jobs in Goldenspire? What else did he know? How could he get rid of the nuisance?

Ells closed his eyes, allowing his fantasies of ruling over Mage Jisung to bring him to a complete state of calm. He still had work to do. The Unseen wasn't much of a concern to him, despite his job, but now that the cult was his biggest competition for taking a hold of the fire mage, he had to push himself to be the first to control him. And that all had to start with the biggest obstacle: Mage Minho.

The Enforcer's earlier attempt to weed doubt into Jisung's mind had clearly failed, so he either had to try harder, or he would have to play dirty. And he wasn't afraid to do either.

Ells glanced down at Jisung's document. "I'll have you on a leash soon enough. Just a little longer."

✿✿✿

According to Guild Master Chan, Ells was at the guild to keep an eye on things while he works on his investigation of the Unseen's whereabouts. In reality, he was there to wait. And nothing drew his attention until the very thing consuming his thoughts strolled into the guild hall.