Chapter Thirteen: NAOMI

(A/N) TW (again)

(A/N) TW (again)

I didn't return to the palace straight away. I knew who would be waiting for me when I did, and I wasn't sure I could face him.

So, I lingered in the woods, walking aimlessly until the sun sank below the hills, until the clouds grew heavy and rain pelted my skin.

Now, I'm sodden and shivering, and I'll still have to face Kohl. Sighing, I twist on my aching heels and make a beeline towards home, my mind turning over every piece of information it can think of. Althea's potential whereabouts. This sudden change in Kohl's behaviour. Nikolai...

The latter stuns me. It's so strange to know his name now, and with the way in which he'd said it to me...

I shake my head. It doesn't matter. Nikolai – no, Fragor – is good as dead to me, mate or not. And although I may be struggling to do it now, I will find the strength to tear his heart out some day. It may not be today, or even tomorrow, but it will be soon – because no matter what, I am determined to get my sister back.

After what feels like an eternity of picking my way through foliage and gnarled roots, I eventually make it out of the woods and step onto the cobbled road leading to the palace gates. Beyond them, the wavering flicker of lanterns glow against the grey sheets of rain, and my throat hardens. My husband, it seems, has been waiting for me...

Taking a deep breath, I push a sodden lock of hair out of my face and march towards the gates with all the confidence I can muster. I'd found a spare set of clothing within the woods – wolves often left clothing in burrows or nooks for after a Shift – so at least I'm not naked as I make for the palace. As I approach the gate, however, I feel my confidence dissolve into nothing, because I am soon staring into the golden eyes of Kohl Gahndor...

... and he looks enraged.

Once I am within range, the gates swing open with violent force and I come to a grinding halt. Kohl stomps out with several guards in tow, their eyes wide despite the practiced indifference of their bodies. The light from the lanterns they're holding cast the king's face in various oranges and golds, making him look positively menacing.

Kohl stops several feet before me, glaring down at me with ire. I only manage to hold his gaze for a second before I am forced to look down at my feet, bowing my head in submission.

"What did I tell you," he bites out, "about leaving the grounds?"

Silence. I don't answer him at first. I don't know what to answer with, or rather what words will quell the anger that's simmering in his voice. If there even is any quelling his anger.

"I'm sorry," is all I manage in response. My heart pounds fearfully, but I swallow my terror and force myself to hold his gaze as I say, "But you can't expect me to live like this forever, Kohl. I have to get my sister back. I have to go beyond the gates."