plus one

plus one December 2014

A week had passed since I showed up at Kaeden's to talk and instead bumped into Alexis. We did however talk and as always we found a way to sweep everything under the rug without addressing what needed to be addressed directly.

We had sort of gotten back to normal though. There was always an underlying awkwardness whenever we were around each other and other times there was this distant thought about that day lingering in the back of my mind. It sometimes made me feel nervous even though I couldn't exactly point out the reason why.

Since we had spoke I had been having a stressful week from meeting another deadline to work to still catching up with more uni work to preparing for January exams. I was stressed and I just wanted this semester to be over. It hadn't been good to me so far and I was hoping the second semester would be.

We had gotten to the last week of the semester and I was sort of relieved. I had submitted my final assignment for this half of the year and could now breathe. I still had a lot on my mind and not to mention exams the following month but I was glad that this half of the year was over.

I was now at Kaeden's place, doing nothing at all and still trying to ignore the awkward atmosphere. I sat in thought, wondering if only I could feel that awkwardness or could he feel it too? I snapped out of my thoughts once I heard my name. I looked back at the screen before turning my attention to him.

"Yeah?"

"There's this work Christmas dinner and you can bring someone. You wanna be my someone?" Kaeden said laughing lowly as I watched him play FIFA. I raised an eyebrow at him as he stayed facing the screen.

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's on Friday."

"I don't know..." I said trailing off as I tried to picture each and every scenario of that night whilst trying to figure out why he would want me to accompany him.

"Just come."

"I'll think about it and I'll get back to you." I replied, deciding I would decline via text when I get back to my flat.

*

I pulled up my black high waisted cigarette trousers and tugged at the bottom of my deep green pinstriped bralet, half twirling in the mirror.

Yes, I had decided to go.

Kaeden kept asking; Jamaen kept pushing me so I thought why not? Free food, free drinks and I get a chance to actually feel good about myself after so long. I had no assignments and I should celebrate I made it through this semester even though at so many times did I feel like giving up.

I didn't want to do too much so I kept my hair in its natural loose waves, using my straightener to add in more wherever it had gone flat. I kept my make up light and simple, mainly because I wasn't skilled enough and I was still not a big fan of putting so much stuff on my face. I had defined my eyes with winged eyeliner and mascara and a matte dark brown lip, using Lime Crime's Salem. After I sprayed my pulses with some perfume and clasped a rustic gold choker around my neck, I strapped on my barely there heeled sandals before throwing on a dark grey slightly oversized coat. I checked my phone and saw that I had received a message from Kaeden five minutes ago saying he was on his way.