Chapter 5

“No Need, Sir, I will drop by the plaza this morning,” Clint responded to the caller at the other end of the phone on that bright Monday morning.

“I will be waiting for you then,” the caller responded.

“Ok, Sir!” Clint replied, heading out of his sitting room, his phone glued to his ear still.

Just like every other day, he chose when he went to work—he was the boss after all. When he finally decided to leave for work, he received a call from Engr. Chigbo Adubasim, the middle-aged man and a father of two, who ran PRIME Co. A big time building construction and estate management enterprise; requesting his presence.

Ózó as he fondly called him had amassed a fortune from handling building constructions for high profile personnel’s and businesses, including government agencies, and real estate investments also. With him, business was always good. Although he is always a bit under the belt with his demands and strictness, it didn't matter to Clint, as long as the contracts kept coming and credits kept flowing in.

Clint opted to meet with him in the morning time; other engagements could wait. He opened the left rear door of his car, and dropped his briefcase, usual of him. He jammed it afterwards and subsequently opened the one to the driver's seat. He checked the time for the umpteenth time before boarding the car. Subsequently, he kicked on the engine and drove out of his apartment premises.

His car galloped as he drove through the un-tarred street of his neighbourhood, honking at his neighbour, Stainless Lady –the woman who owned the mini supermarket down the street, and her fifteen year old son who raised his two hands up in respect “Chairmoo!” Chairman, he hailed in his street parlance.  The car’s undercarriage frequently scrapped against the sand mounds of the rough muddy road that battle erosion for years now. It screeched and scratched till he got to the tarred major road. Swiftly, he steered the car to his left and floored the accelerator, drifting away in the busy road. A tricycle rider cursed at him, the adamant motorist who approached speedily was forced to slow down abruptly. He watched them from the side mirror, unperturbed while he drove off.  

In matter of minutes, Clint drove into the parking space of the vast busy five story building owned by Engr. Adubasim. The vast building which is nicely seated along the busy Aroma axis of the Enugu-Onitsha expressway, like a few other buildings in the area, is covered with glasses, but unlike them, it radiated an intimidating aura against them. 

Standing out on the street, the transparent anterior walls of the plaza allows you a clear view of the exquisite showroom of interior decor materials and electronic appliances elegantly displayed in the ground floor and the subsequent floors above it. The rest of the floor, which served as office complexes, is covered in opaque glasses.

He stood by the elevator and patiently waited to gain entrance, at the same time, he observed people go about their daily business. The elevator dinged and Tina alighted in the company of a staff that he perceived to be her assistant. 

“Hello, good morning.” With a straight face, he extended his hand for a shake.

Tina received it. “Good morning, sir,” the young lady beside Tina greeted.

“Good morning. You are new here?”

“Not really, sir,” she replied.

“Ok.” He dismissed the young lady. “How are you?” He turned to Tina.

“I'm very well. Thank you,” Tina gestured.

“That's good.” He paused for a while before he added, “Ózó requested my presence.” He paused again, “and you look good this morning.”