Chapter 31

The first thing that Zhi Ruo encountered was a mangled piece of corpse. It crawled with it's legs and it's arms were dangling; evidently broken. She had just walked roughly around 5 minutes straight on the path, and the slowly the path was a path no more.

The trees were closing in, and they loomed over Zhi Ruo. Their heights reached the clouds. And the deeper she walked, the trees also grew thicker and she could no longer see the crown of the trees.

The corpse was the first thing that Zhi Ruo encountered, that could be counted as a monster. Briefly Zhi Ruo wonders if the corpse used to be a human. As she could see the clothes that was ragged in soot, and the clear distinction of the ruddy dried color of blood.

She was about to steer away from such monster when she was stunned to see a window pop up on her vision. It was the system. The contents were something that Zhi Ruo did not expect.

[Kill Gathering; Concentration rank 1 beasts (Lvl- 1) 0/100
Rewards: 400EXP → all stats raise to 1→ additional 10SP
Penalty: possible death.]

[Kill Gathering; Concentration rank 2 beasts (Lvl- 2) 0/100
Rewards: 800EXP→all stats raised to 1 → additional 20SP
Penalty: possible death.]

[Kill Gathering; Concentration rank 3 beasts (Lvl- 3) 0/100
Rewards: 1200EXP→all stats raised to 1 → additional 30SP
Penalty: possible death.]

.
.
.

The windows popped up with an exclamation point, it triggered a series of missions. There were five in total. And Zhi Ruo could not help but zero her eyes to the penalty. She was sure that 'possible death' doesn't really mean that the system would dish out the penalty. She was sure that it was related to the mission, and to the situation that she was currently in.

She wasn't scared of the fact that she could die. She was concerned over the fact that there's five consecutive missions. It was the first time Zhi Ruo had encountered this with the system.

Zhi Ruo furrowed her brow in question. The corpse in the distance was noticing Zhi Ruo too.

[What's the meaning of this?] Zhi Ruo asked within her mindscape.

[The host is in a situation where the requirements for a mission was triggered. Currently, due to the host's level is shorter than the host's cultivation rank. The system has to put the mission as a series mission.] The system replied without missing a beat.

[...] Zhi Ruo didn't like what she was hearing, as she prefered when she got to set the pace of her training. Though, given that she was unfamiliar with how the system works, she could not find it within her to be angry.

[Please raise your Level faster hosts!] The system continued.

[...] Zhi Ruo did find it within her to be irritated at the system eventually though.

Instead of talking again, Zhi Ruo chose to dash towards the corpse that was getting nearer. Her figure hovered on the ground as she dashed towards the mangled corpse. With a simple hand and eye coordination, Zhi Ruo's fists landed soundly on the mangled corpse's head.

With rapt satisfaction, she watched as the monster's head flew to a nearby tree before exploding like a watermelon.

[Congratulations! You have killed your first beast, you have earned 50SP!]

Zhi Ruo waved the notification lazily as the body of the corpse also fell down with a thud. Within the visible eye, the corpse's body decayed at a very fast rate. And as it did so, it left a core on the place where it's heart was supposed to be.

The core was a simple transparent purple crystal at a size of Zhi Ruo's pinky finger.

Zhi Ruo picked the core from the pile of ashes and watched as the mission to kill a Gathering; Concentration rank 1 or Lvl- 1 rose by a point. Zhi Ruo then categorized the mangled corpse as a level 1 beast.