Spark, Light, and Defuse

"...In fact, there have been many alliances made in an attempt to hinder the Basilisk efforts. But these alliances are miniscule in both number and participants—and no planetary government has taken firm action as of today aside from the ones targeted by the Basilisks.

The Moraii Project is one of these such alliances, founded to uphold the treaty of Irsaii that others failed to. Its core members are assorted independent pilots, such as myself. Our next goal on our agenda is to gather information, in which I am doing my part through this book—whilst spreading it to all who may need it.

As stated by many before me, knowledge is power. Understanding the history of Andromeda is the key to change, as per any planet or city on a smaller scale..."

- Zenith Arraly, The Elaborate History of Space Travel

~ * ~ 

So Ivis was pretty quiet, but Vedrith was sure everything was fine. Probably.

"Why did you need an in person report? I've already told you everything—I can document it myself." Asked Vedrith, wanting to get out of this room as soon as possible.

Normally, Vedrith wouldn't ask—sometimes Whitlock called people in for special missions like Vedrith. But what Vedrith was trying to insinuate was that it wasn't needed, and that Whitlock should let them leave. As in, leave now.

And for once, her actions weren't motivated by self interest—at least she thought so. Vedrith was worried that Ivis was going to freak out like she did on Hive (an event she still didn't fully understand) and cause trouble. At this point, Vedrith's mission was complete, so it probably wouldn't affect her... but moons, what kind of person would Vedrith be if she didn't care at all?

"I need to arrange the situation with your ship, which I'd rather do with you in person." Said Whitlock, placing his hands together on the desk. "For instance, we need to discuss which reactor model is best suited, when to replace them, and other various things. Shouldn't take long."

Vedrith narrowed her eyes, peering at Whitlock. "That's all with me. There was no need to bring Ivis here." She said accusingly.

"I wanted to meet Ivis." Whitlock looked past Vedrith, switching his gaze to Ivis. He studied her with calculating eyes—ones Vedrith was used to seeing. "I want to ask a few questions, too."

Moons, why did everyone want to meet Ivis? It kind of made Vedrith mad—she wasn't some show animal.

Vedrith glanced at Ivis, who was staring at the floor. Her fists, much like her jaw, were tightly clenched—and if it wasn't obvious, that was not a good sign.

Taking in a deep breath, Vedrith shook her head. "That's not necessary, Whitlock. Let her rest—we've had a long trip." Said Vedrith, trying desperately to get out of this situation. If Vedrith had learned anything about Ivis during the past two weeks, it was that it only took one small action to set Ivis off. And after that, it got violent—which no one could blame Vedrith for wanting to avoid.

"Nonsense." Said Whitlock, standing up from his desk. "I just want to know a few things. Besides, you're already here." Whitlock walked around the desk, stopping a few feet away from the two of them.

"Whitlock, I wouldn't do that..." Said Vedrith in a warning tone. Vedrith shifted forward, trying to force a barrier between Ivis and Whitlock, who paid no heed to Vedrith's words.

Ivis, to Vedrith's relief, didn't move. In fact, she was rather still. Almost too still—so Vedrith kept a watchful eye on her reactions.

"I must say, you're pretty civilized—apart from shooting Vedrith." Said Whitlock to Ivis. "You must have been quite sheltered growing up."