A tale of lovers

115 AC, vale of Arryn

"Thank you, my lord," Rhaenyra said to one of the lower lords of the vale.

She had been sitting here, on this makeshift throne for hours and she was getting tired.
Tired of it all. The last year she had been travelling to "find" a husband but she already knew who it would be.
Edric Arryn.
Her father may have delayed their union but she would have him.

"One last lord shall come before you, Princess." her mother's cousin, Jeyne, told her.
Rhaenyra smiled.

"Edric Arryn, heir of the lady Jeyne Arryn, the future lord of the vale." he was announced.

Eric wore his finest blue clothes, he wanted to look good. For the people, so they would accept him as the princess's husband, and so that she would like him.

"Princess." he bowed.
"Lord Edric, how long has it been?"
"Almost a year, Princess."
She gifted him the kindest, brightest of smiles.
"Princess, I will not beat around the push. I love you and wish to marry you. To our union, I will bring the Vale with all of its mights. You will have our people, our army, our crops. At least two of our children will have titles. You and your heirs will be protected by me and the vale."

Rhaenyra smiled.
"You bring good conditions, Lord Edric."

Rhaenyra turned to Jeyne Arryn.

"If you could ask your Maester to inform my father of my choice I would be most grateful."

"I will marry Edric Arryn."
With that she stood, said goodbye and thanked the lords for coming and left the hall.

She waited for him in his tower.

"Edric." She squealed.
"Rhaenyra." he breathed out relieved.

She ran to him and hugged him.
After a while, he pulled away and kissed her.

"I have missed you" he whispered.
"Well, you will never have to again." She smiled as brightly as the sun.

(He would)

The King, in the capital, was outraged.
He thought his daughter past this, past him.

Yes, Edric Arryn would become Lord paramount upon Jeyne's death but what did he really have to offer?

He wasn't a fighter. He was weak, shy even.
Was he an honest man? His father certainly wasn't.

Darnold Arryn, Edric's father, was still a throne in Viserys's eyes.
Why? Because he loved your wife better than you ever could? A voice whispered.

...

The king was sure he would die today.
His daughter wishes to marry that boy, his brother proclaimed himself king of the step stones' and the city was restless.

Viserys Targaryen sat on his throne as he waited for his brother.
His daughter would arrive soon too but he wished Daemon and Rhaenyra wouldn't meet.
He still preferred young Edric over Daemon as his daughter's husband.