The start of something

Dear Edric

It has been very lonely without you here.
I wish for nothing more than everything to go back to the way it was yet I know it will never be.
The hand is continuing to overstep and I am sure it will get worse once his daughter gives birth.
I will be undermined more than I already am.

I am afraid. This is something I can only admit to you.

I hope this letter finds you well.
I miss you and I hope to see you soon. Maybe I can convince my father to let me fly to you.

Your Rhaenyra

It had been a few months since the King announced his marriage to the Lady, now Queen, Alicent and his cousin called him right back to the Vale.

Just like Lady Vernize, the blatant disrespect hasn't gone unnoticed by the entire Vale.
No, definitely not, the Vale was raging. His cousin was raging.

Edric hated to leave Rhaenyra alone and yet he had no choice.

So since then, they have been writing letters to each other.
Every day, though it would take a day or two for them to receive their letters.

Edric read Rhaenyra's latest letter twice before stepping out of his room.

He walked the halls of the Eryie to the great hall where his cousin was.

"Jeyne?" he asked softly.
"Edric. Come." she smiled.

Edric walked to the table where she sat.

"There is something I wanted to ask you." he began.
"Go on." she smiled still.
"I want to return to Kings Landing."
her smile fell, her face hardened

"No."
"But Rhaenyra is all alone."
she sighed and said nothing for some time.

"You will not go to Kings Landing. I will not allow it," she said harshly.
But just as Edric wanted to object she continued.
"I will write to that garbage King however inviting the princess. I too would like to see her."
Jeyne would like to see Aemma, not Rhaenyra, Edric thought for just a moment before he broke out in a smile.

"Thank you Jeyne," he said excitedly and moved to hug her.
Before she could hug him back, he already run out with joy.

Edric had never written a letter so fast.
Edric had never walked to a Maester so fast.

"Send this with the fastest raven you have," Edric demanded.
"Of course my lord."

Rhaenyra's life has changed a lot in the last year or two.
Her mother was alive and she had her two friends by her side and now she was all alone.
Her best friend married her father and her... Edric was in the Vale.

Rhaenyra's only comforts were her dragon Syrax and the daily letters she got from Edric.

She wondered where he would write his letters, what he would wear and what he would do after.
She wondered if he thought as much about her as she did about him.

Rhaenyra didn't have much to do.
She should have her duties as heir but the hand was staunchly against it.
He argued that she was too young.

All Rhaenyra did now was ride Syrax for hours on end, read Edric's letter then write him one, walk the grounds all alone, read the book she got from Edric, eat dinner with her father and her old friend and read the book she got from Edric again.

On this morning Rhaenyra felt surprisingly good.
She got ready for the day, alone as the Hand argued against her having handmaidens as the Queen having a flock of women attending her was much more important, when Edric's letter got delivered to her.