The Dragon and the Falcon

A/n: Alicent/Edric friendship truthers rise!!! Or did I maybe write them with a romantic undertone? I am really not sure.But then again Rhaenyra and Alicent and even Edric and Harlan have romantic undertones.

"Edric!"
"Rhaenyra."
Rhaenyra ran to the gates to greet him.

"How was the vale?"
"Nice. How was the council meeting?"
"Is this truly what you wish to know? You were gone for weeks."
"Well, I wish to know everything that has happened to you, of course."
"I missed you terribly, Edric. It hasn't been the same without you reading to me."
"I am back now."

Rhaenyra hooked her arm into his.
"Come, let us get Harlan and Alicent. They missed you as well."

Harlan Vernize and Edric Arryn had gotten close during the Roses sons time at King's Landing.
Edric was even sad to leave his newfound friend and, of course, Alicent and Rhaenyra.

"So tell me about the meeting," Edric said, noting Rhaenyra's expression.
"He keeps undermining me. I am the heir, and I should be able to make suggestions."
"I don't think the King would undermine you."
"Not father," she said.
"The hand. I suggested that they send us Dragonriders to the stepstones, but the Lord Hand ignored it and sent me to choose the new king's guard."
"The hand will have to learn. He cannot act like the king. But at least this new king's guard will be loyal to you."
"And Ser Criston is a good knight as well. He was the only one to see combat."
"Ser Criston?" Edric froze in his tracks.

"The dornish knight? Who asked for your favour?"
"Yes."
Rhaenyra felt Edric stiffen.

"Edric? Are you alright?"
"Of course. I have a book for you." He tried to change the subject.
"Oh really? What is it about?"
"You will just have to see."

"Edric! You are back." Edric heard the soft voice belonging to Alicent Hightower call out.
"Indeed, I am Lady Alicent," he smiled.
"And I do come bearing gifts, as I have already told the princess."
"Gifts? You are too kind." Alicent said shyly.
"Barely. My gifts are books."
"I love books, and I will get the princess to read the book you gift her. After all, she only reads her favourite books."
"Well, we match in that Lady Alicent. Our love for books, our efforts towards the princess, and today even our clothing," he pointed out.

Edric never saw Alicent in dark colours, but today she was wearing a dark blue gown.

Alicent smiled brightly.
"Indeed, we do."
"This shade suits you more than it does me, my lady," he said.
"You flatter me, but I am not so sure about that."

Rhaenyra looked upon his scene with great confusion.
Since when was Edric this open? Did he like her closest friend?

"I wanted to ask the princess if she would join me for prayer, but..."
"Oh, of course. I will let you do it then."
"You could join us." Both Alicent and Rhaenyra said it at the same time.
Edric laughed.
"I have missed this indeed, but I shall look for Harlan, and then we will see each other after dinner for your gifts."

Edric walked to the chamber of the Vernize heir.
He knocked until he heard, "Come in!"

"Vernize!"
"Arryn? Is that you?" he asked.
Edric smiled.

Harlan stood from his desk and pulled Edric into a hug.

"How have you been, my friend?" Harlan asked.
"Well. It was great fun, if I'm honest."
"But you missed the princess, of course?" Harlan said before Edric could ask him anything.
"Yes?"
"She missed you too."

They love each other.

"Well, how has King's Landing been treating you?" Edric asked, brushing the mention of the princess away.
"Fine. It is weird if I'm honest."
"Why?"
"The Lord's hand doesn't like it. And he didn't want me to be around his daughter, so I have been on my own."
"Why wouldn't he like you?" Edrivc asked.
"I have no idea. I mean, I got Edric Arryn to open up," he said jokingly.
"But really, my mother and uncle dislike the hand. And she even called me back."
"Your mother?"