The heirs of the Dragon

A/n: Edric "I only care about Rhaenyra" Arryn!!! Also I changed the scene between Rhaenys and Boremund,I hated the way the show did it.

Edric sat across from his heavily pregnant aunt.
She was his mother's younger sister, and after his mother passed, she took care of him.

A book was open across his lap.
A book of the greatest legends.

It was something they enjoyed doing. Reading together.
When he was younger, she would read to him and Rhaenyra, his cousin, but as the pair grew, it changed. Now he read to her, and his cousin would join them, though more later in the day.

Rhaenyra was a dragon rider, confident with many friends. Edric was neither of those things.
Rhaenyra liked adventure, and Edric liked the safety the red keep provided.

He loved reading to Aemma, most of all when she was with child. She was always so uncomfortable, and the stories helped her relax.

"Edric, you needn't read to me. Go outside. Be with your friends." Aemma's soft voice interrupted his reading of Jonquil and Florian the Fool.

He looked up.
"You are my friend, your grace," he said.
Aemma sighed and gestured for him to come to her.

He put the book down and sat next to his aunt.
She ran her hand through his dark, raven hair.

"I know that Kings Landing isn't for you, and I do know that you don't have many friends, Edric, but I will not be here forever."
Edric didn't like to think about that.
"Go to Rhaenyra."
"Rhaenyra is with Alicent. I always feel like I'm interrupting."
"why?"
He sighed and looked at his hands.

After a moment, his green eyes met her purple ones.
"I am not as open as Rhaenyra and Lady Alicent...I fear she does not like me very much."

"But you get along during tourneys."
"I am different during tourneys.I like them."

Her aunt looked at him empathically and decided to drop the subject.
Edric, however, kept thinking about it, and in truth, he didn't like to share Rhaenyra, and neither did Alicent.

After a period of conversation, Aemma reopened the subject. She couldn't help herself.
"Edric, my dear."
He looked up. He had an anxious look on his face.

"I see how you look at her."
"I don't look at Rhaenyra."
"Edric..."

But before she could continue, Rhaenyra and Alicent walked him.
He stood up, bowed his head to Aemma, said greetings to his cousin and her friend, and exited the queen's chamber.

He walked back to his room.
He sat on his bed and looked at the clothes that had been made for the tournament.
Edric would be wearing his usual black trousers and blue tunic.
For the tournament of his unborn cousin, he wore the Arryn blue, though he would usually only wear dark blues in the style of the Vale.

In truth, he looks forward to the tournament. While he didn't have friends, he got to sit with his family. He always sat next to Rhaenyra.

They got along well; it was just that they didn't quite fit into each other's worlds.
Expect at tourneys. During tournaments, Edric, Alicent, and Rhaenyra were best friends.
They liked to talk about people, discuss their clothing, and spread rumours about them and their bodies.

Aemma would tease him a gossip, but he always denied it.

In the evening hours, Eric would visit Aemma again, and Rhaenyra would always join.
Edric chose a book about dragons and made his way to the Queens chambers.
On the way, he bumped into Rhaenyra.

"Oh, Edric, I will be late today; I have to take a bath. I smell like syrax."
"Oh. I will tell your mother."
"I will be fast. I promise."
"Then we will wait for you," he said.