54. {new hair, new me}

Start from the beginning

jenna laughed at that, shaking her head at the young couple. she loved it every time moonee was over because the two truly entertained her. the dunbar women wished her husband wasn't working the morning shift at the hospital, so he could've seen this encounter.

"we're kinda doing a reverse here, jenna." moonee spoke. "liam's growing out his hair and i'm getting mine shorter."

jenna reached over and tussled the boy's now longer brown hair, making him groan. "i do love that you're growing it out. what's made you decide to do it?"

"he wants us to have the same length." moonee shrugged.

"that's not true!"

"do you think he'd look good with some coloured highlights, jenna?" moonee asked. "maybe hot pink?"

"i think it would really bring out his eyes." jenna nodded. "just like how the nail polish did. you have such a talent with colour matching, moonee."

"thanks, jenna." moonee gave her a toothy grin, knowing how much it was annoying liam.

"we should go now, thank you for the breakfast mom." liam quickly got up from his chair. he stacked he and moonee's empty dishes in the sink and gave his mom a kiss on the cheek.

"bye you two, drive safe!" jenna stated. "hope to see you soon, moonee."

"and what about me?" liam questioned, tossing his moonee the car keys.

moonee caught them in her left hand. "she's already cursed with having to see you everyday."

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

his girlfriend dropped him off at school and left to get changed into her lacrosse kit. but liam was laying on the floor of the boy's locker room, his best friend laying on the bench, face down.

franchie had been devastated for the last part of summer, where her girlfriend revealed that she would be leaving town to protect her sister. and liam was sad too that he had lost such a close friend, and  the realisation hit him that this was the last year he'd be spending with his dear girlfriend.

corey was already in his lacrosse uniform and pads and his boyfriend was there for moral support, trying to get the boy dressed and keep fran from sobbing again.

"i can't handle this." liam groaned.

mason sighed in exasperation as he and corey gave up and decided to just start dressing liam themselves.

"yes, you can!" mason encouraged him. "you were literally with her this morning, she's not going away anytime soon."

mason grabbed liam under his arms and pulled him into a seated position, so he could help put on a long sleeved shirt.

"and you've handled so much worse than this! you're practically the alpha now!" mason reassured him.

"for now." liam muttered. "soon i'll be nothing without her."

"liam, can you help me with this, please?" corey muttered, trying to put on his shoulder pads.

"hayden left me." franchie muttered.