54. {new hair, new me}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"you have never looked so beautiful, did you know that?" liam dunbar questioned.

it was now summer of 2013. liam had turned seventeen already in april while his girlfriend's birthday was just at the end of the month. the two were in liam's bathroom, moonee zhao-mccall perched on the side of the dunbar-geyer's bathtub.

moonee loved to change her appearance, everyone knew that. from the piercings she put in her face and the colours in her hair. she didn't care how she looked to other people, she changed her looks to make herself happy.

and maybe her boyfriend happy too.

so the said boyfriend was chopping off her long, eighteen inch, jet black hair into a ten inch bob. just to symbolise the new school year and the new age she would be.

"thanks, li." she smiled, watching as he swept up the chunks of her hair that were sprawled onto the bathroom tiles.

"breakfast is ready, guys!" liam's mother called from downstairs.

"coming, mom!" liam shouted back. "come on!"

the two rushed down the wooden staircase to find liam's mother by the kitchen counter with croissants, two glasses of orange juice and cut up fruit waiting for them.

the brunette woman grinned the second she saw the girl. "you look amazing."

"that's what i told her." liam smiled as he slid into one of the seats.

"thank you, jenna." moonee beamed, taking the seat beside him. "and thank you for the breakfast."

"of course!" jenna dunbar said. "you know you're welcome anytime. but you two better hurry, practice starts soon. liam, are you driving?"

"i wish." liam shook his head. "moon insists that she needs more practice."

"it's not fair, you always drive us everywhere." moonee spoke, her mouth packed with melon. "it should be equal. shouldn't it, jenna?"

"of course." jenna nodded in agreement, making moonee stick her tongue out at her son. "so, was the hair an impulse thing or have you wanted to have it short for ages?"

"she actually just woke up and the first thing she said was 'i want to cut all my hair off'." liam explained. "i thought she meant like a buzz cut, but she was close to tears when i pulled out the hair clipper."