Chapter 2

In the morning, Cody stretched and gave a small groan as his muscles retaliated with a cruel ache. He felt groggy and was a bit confused as to why he was lying with the blanket lying over him, anchored by his feet and waist. The events of the night before came rushing back to him and he quickly got up, earning himself a minute of vertigo. Once the dizziness had passed he got dressed and ran to the kitchen.

    His family was preparing breakfast as Cody entered the room. Dani was drinking her coffee at the table with their dad who was reading a newspaper. Kade was getting ready to toast some bread, and Graham was pouring milk for cereal. Chief Burns looked up at his youngest as Cody nearly fell down the stairs.

     "You seem to be in a hurry this morning. Is everything okay?" he asked, lowering his newspaper. Cody noticed that his father had darker eyebags than usual this morning.

     "Uh, maybe," Cody answered, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl. "Did... did you hear anything last night? Like, a loud roar?" Chief Burns set the newspaper down on the table, his brow furrowing in confusion.

     "A loud roar?" he asked. "No, I'm afraid not. Are you sure you didn't dream that last night?" Cody shook his head, his blonde hair waving back and forth.

     "No, I didn't dream it. There was a huge flash of light, and the sky turned orange. It all happened last night." Cody stated, a tad frustrated. Dani chuckled.

     "Well, sometimes dreams can seem real. I sure didn't see any orange skies last night. Kade, your toast is burning. Again." Dani turned and pointed towards the charcoal pieces of bread that were now sticking out from the toaster. Kade grabbed the two pieces of burnt toast and crunched into one of them.

     "Well, I happen to like my toast like this. You don't know what you're missing out on, Dani." Kade said through a mouthfull of charcoal toast. Cody gave a forlorn sigh.

     "Cody, bud," Graham said, putting a hand on his little brother's shoulder. "Maybe you should go and see if Frankie or Doc saw anything. I know I didn't, but this is Griffin Rock." Cody looked up at Graham with a smile on his face.

     "You know, that's a great idea. Dad, is it okay if I go see Doc and Frankie?" he asked, grabbing his hoverboard. His father nodded and Cody slid down the fire poll to the garage. The bots were already down there and were conversing among themselves.

     "You know," Heatwave was saying. "I am so glad that repulsor badge is gone. That thing was dangerous."

     "Like I said," Blades cut in. "Mortal. Enemy."

     "Hey guys!" Cody waved at the bots. "Did you guys see anything last night?"

     "Like a bright flash of light?" Boulder asked, causing Cody to perk up in surprise.

     "So, you guys saw it too, huh?" he questioned, looking up at the Cybertronians.

     "With a flash that bright, it is no question that we could not see it," Chase said. "Have you told Chief Burns about this? And do you believe that it could have been caused by an interloper steeped in villainy?"

     "I don't know yet Chase," Cody grinned, finding Chase's choice of words to be amusing. "my family didn't seem like they saw anything last night, so I'm going to Doc Green's lab and see if either he or Frankie saw the light last night too." Heatwave held out a hand, preventing Cody from leaving the firehouse.

     "Look kid," he grumbled. "I don't want you to get hurt out there. There was a roar out there, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't from something here."

     "Thanks Heatwave, but I think I'll be okay," Cody put his hand on Heatwave's, trying to reassure the firebot. Heatwave sighed again, then moved his hand away from the boy. Cody hopped onto his hover board and headed towards the lab.