Poppy [Chapter-14]

Yu ZiYuan sat tensely in the Jinshi. This was the only place she could recommend for having a private conversation. Wei WuXian also saw no issue with it, although Lan WangJi didn’t seem particularly pleased with it. But he would never reject his Wei Ying anything.

Wei WuXian also seemed to be tense. Jiang Cheng looked at him, and then looked at Yu ZiYuan, straight in the eye, "Who are you?"
"..."
"I will ask again, who are you?"
"..."
"This is the last time I will be asking politely. Who are you?"
"Your mother."
"..."

Yu ZiYuan still had to work on developing her patience a bit, it seemed. After being asked the same question thrice, she couldn't help feeling irritated. And as a result, answered it bluntly.

Jiang Cheng instantly became horribly, "Is this a joke? How dare you mock me?"

Yu ZiYuan felt her anger dissipate into pure confusion. In what way did her answer seem like a joke?

Did he really think this was a 'your mom' joke?

Wei WuXian sighed, "It's not a joke."
"..."
"..........." Yu ZiYuan could feel the looming tension begging to break.
"What do you mean?" Jiang Cheng's amethyst eyes revealed a number of emotions in them. His lips curled down, his eyebrows scrunching up.

Yu ZiYuan stood up. She then looked at her son, "It’s true, A-Cheng. It's me, Yu ZiYuan, the violet spider, your mother."
"...Prove it." Jiang Cheng still didn’t wanna believe it. His eyes were shaking, his entire body trembling. 

"I gave you Zidian at the dock of Lotus Pier when the Wens attacked our sect and burned it down." Yu ZiYuan spoke without a break.
"..."

Wei WuXian looked at Yu ZiYuan and his eyes showed sadness, "I told you it wasn’t a joke."

Jiang Cheng stilled completely. For a few seconds, no one said anything. The tension in the air could as if be cut by a sword.

He then looked at Wei WuXian, still frowning, "How long have you known?"
"Not long. A couple days ago." Wei WuXian put a hand over his forehead.

Jiang Cheng's anger flared, "And you didn’t tell me???"
"A-Cheng, I didn’t want anyone to know. He was not supposed to know either." Yu ZiYuan tried to reason with a calm voice, "I wanted to see the enemy's moves. So I didn’t tell anyone."
"Enemy?"
"There must have been a reason I was summoned, I figured." Yu ZiYuan looked at particularly nothing, "I confirmed it even more after I knew of the recent events."

Jiang Cheng stiffened. Recent events. That meant everything.

"Moreover, A-Cheng, there is something that I would like to talk about with you in private, may you both allow that?" Yu ZiYuan looked at them passively.

Wei WuXian took it as a sign for them to come to an understanding with each other, and stood up immediately, "I will leave then. Please talk."
"Wait- I didn’t say 'yes' to this." Jiang Cheng stopped him with a harsh tone.

Wei WuXian looked confused, "You don’t want to talk with her?"
"You-"

"A-Cheng, it’s important." Yu ZiYuan knit her eyes upwards slightly.
Jiang Cheng became even stiffer if possible. Wei WuXian promptly left the room and went outside.

Yu ZiYuan sighed, "Sit."
Jiang Cheng obliged, even though he didn’t seem to be pleased to do so.

"I am sorry." Yu ZiYuan looked down at her lap.

Jiang Cheng's eyes widened, the purple orbs shimmering, "For...what?"
"For everything. I treated you, all three of you, badly when I was alive as, well, myself." She paused a bit, then again continued, as she looked at Jiang Cheng with a fond smile, "You have grown up to be a splendid sect leader."
"..."