Midnight Visitor

The next day unfolded just like the previous ones. Jungkook's empty chair mocked Taehyung in their usual classroom.

Taehyung found himself back at their lunch table, unpacking a lunch he knew wouldn't have been there if it weren't for Jungkook. In a repeat of the past few days, Jungkook had insisted on Taehyung taking his lunch despite Taehyung's protests.

Today, Jungkook couldn't take his eyes off Taehyung's mullet hairstyle. "What's the story behind the hair?" he asked, intrigued.

Taehyung, his mouth full of sandwiches, puffed out his cheeks in reply. "My grandma's a big fan!"

Jungkook's gaze lingered on Taehyung for a moment before he shifted his eyes to the window. "You've got a good grandma," he said with a smile, then leaned in and whispered, "Mine's a little scary, haha."

Taehyung, his gaze softening, muttered quietly, "I may not have much, but at least I have her."

Jungkook replied, "Oh, right," sounding indifferent.

"Umm, why don't you attend morning classes?" Taehyung asked, worried he might anger Jungkook.

"Should I?" Jungkook replied sarcastically. "I'm good at everything," he continued confidently.

The bell rang; it was time for classes.

Taehyung cleaned the desk, and suddenly Jungkook grabbed his wrist and said, "What's your phone number?"

"I-I don't have a phone," he murmured and looked down at Jungkook.

"In what era are you living right now?" he said sarcastically again. "Go."

"Wait," Jungkook stopped him again.

Taehyung thought, 'Now what does Jungkook want from me?'

Jungkook said firmly, "Give me your address."

"What? No way, why?" Taehyung stammered, flustered by the sudden demand.

"Why not? Give it to me," he repeated before Taehyung could say anything, Jungkook continued firmly, "You know I can ask that shithead Minseok. He probably knows your address, right?"

Taehyung, unwillingly, gave him his home address.

'Why did he want to know my address?' Taehyung thought, heading to his class with a mind full of questions.

As usual, Jungkook arrived late with his two friends.

The bell rang.

Jungkook didn't say anything to Taehyung or even look in his direction today.

He went home earlier today.

On the bus, Taehyung gazed out the window, thinking, 'Today is a good day.'

After arriving home, Taehyung found his grandma cooking kimchi for him. He changed his clothes and headed to the kitchen. They chatted happily. His grandma shared that the sunflowers had bloomed beautifully today.

Taehyung was happy too, seeing his grandma's joy.

In the night, as Taehyung slept, a sudden rapping on his window startled him. He tiptoed cautiously towards the window and peered out.

Grabbing the flashlight from his bedside table, Taehyung pointed it at the figure. He peered closer and recognized Jeon Jungkook. 'What is he doing here?' Taehyung thought in confusion.

He saw Jungkook beckoning him outside. Taehyung slipped out quietly, trying not to wake his grandma.

Taehyung watched as Jungkook approached. He noticed pebbles clutched in Jungkook's hand, confirming his suspicions about the window.

Jungkook spoke first, a sarcastic edge to his voice, "Damn, I thought you might be out cold."

"W-what are you doing here so late?" Stammered Taehyung.

"I came to see you." Jungkook replied with a smirk.

Taehyung became flustered after Jungkook said that.

"Just kidding. I was bored." Jungkook looked away from Taehyung's eyes as he spoke.

Taehyung was curious and said, "it's midnight, how you came here, there is no bus and train."

Jungkook laughed at Taehyung and scrunched his nose and said, "Who said I came by bus or train. It's a car."

"Ohhh."

"Here, take this."

Taehyung looked at his hand and saw a small box there. Jungkook pushed it towards him. Taking the box, Taehyung opened it to reveal a flip phone. Shock registered on his face as he blurted out, "What is this?"

Jungkook's reply dripped with sarcasm. "This thing is called a phone," he said, "probably used for humans to communicate."

Taehyung stammered, flustered by Jungkook's answer, "But I don't need this."

Jungkook blurted out, "I need you," then froze. "N-no, I mean, what if I need your help in the future?" It was the first time Jungkook had ever stammered.

Taehyung was speechless, stunned by Jungkook's words.

"Take it," Jungkook continued, pushing the phone towards Taehyung. "I put my number in there. Oh, and don't tell anyone or give the number to anyone else," he instructed sternly.

Taehyung hesitantly nodded, afraid to speak. He was unsure about the phone and didn't know how to use it.

Jungkook studied Taehyung's face intently. He leaned closer, closing the gap between them, and asked, "Do you know how to use it?"

Taehyung worried that Jungkook might make fun of him. He shook his head to indicate he didn't know how to use the phone. Jungkook didn't comment on it and patiently provided instructions.

"Click the button to unlock," Jungkook explained. "Press this button to call, and press here to write a message."

Taehyung listened attentively.

"Now, message me," Jungkook said with a smile.

Taking his time, Taehyung typed a message and pressed the send button. A tiny chiming sound came from Jungkook's pocket.

Before Jungkook could check the message, Taehyung stopped him. "Look at this message at home," he said. Jungkook's curiosity piqued, but he simply replied, "Okay."

An awkward silence fell between them. Finally, Jungkook broke it. "I should probably get going now," he said.

Taehyung watched Jungkook's retreating back and muttered a quiet, "Goodnight." To his surprise, Jungkook called back, "Goodnight!"

With a smile on his face, Taehyung thought, 'Today was a really good day.'

He then headed to his room.