chapter two - cute

Y/n
Monday, November 8th, 8:46 am

      After attending military school my junior year, it felt surreal to be back here in a regular high school for my last year. I developed a reputation when the word of me going to military school spread like wildfire. People feared looking my ways and quite frankly I didn't mind it. It only boosted my confidence more which happens to be a good thing, as long as you're not cocky about it.

Upon entering first period, I approached the teacher's desk with a tap of my fingers, impatiently, waiting for her to set the phone down. Mrs. Hall glanced at me disapprovingly as she said her goodbyes and the phone was returned back to its home base. "Morning, can I know how I did on my test?" First period was always history: I usually flunked this class but if military school taught me anything, it's that I should be passing every class with an A.

Mrs. Hall eyed me silently while reaching into her drawer to grab out a vanilla colored file. Flipping through the tests, she found my name and handed it back to me. My thumb hovered over the A- on it, it brought a ghost of a smile to my face. "Thanks." I nodded, tight lipped, handing the paper back to her as I made my way to my seat in the back. I sat in the corner of the room — I had glasses to help me see the board — but I always chose to sit in the back no matter how fucked up my eyesight is.

Lance took their seat one ahead of me while the rest of our group was spread out around the classroom. We could be pretty obnoxious together so I understood why the teacher separated most of us. Jenna walked in 2 minutes before the final bell rang — she was a cutie I'll admit that — but she has a bad sense of style. I'll have to fix that for her.

"Just have a seat anywhere you'd like; there's four open spots." The teacher quickly explained in a bittersweet tone that made me roll my eyes. Jenna nodded her head and spotted the seat beside me, which she just so happened to take with a soft sigh. Setting her bag down, I side-eyed her before I reached into my pocket and pulled out my eye glass case. I slid my glasses onto the bridge of my nose. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the way the shy girl was glancing at me but I couldn't see much anymore since the teacher shut the lights off and put a presentation up on the smart board. I focused my attention on that while (not really) vandalizing the school property by drawing on the table with a pencil. I couldn't see what I was doing most of the time but I didn't really care either since I sucked.

: : :

Lunch time rolled around as quick as I had hoped, I wasn't much of an eater or talker — obviously — but when I'm hungry, I'm hungry. Lance slammed their tray down beside mine and slid into the spot next to me. Lance and I actually attended military school together; our parents thought it'd be a good thing for us if we did it together. And we ended up being promoted to Cadet after showing intimidation to move our way up the pyramid.

Gracie laid her head in Olivia's lap while Liv did some math homework that was due after lunch. She blasted through them with the help of Conan who was kind of a math genius. Emma was picking at her nails as usual and eyeing any cute guys and girls. Her eyes settled on Jenna and excitement was very evident on her face. "JENNA!" She screamed and usually in a normal school — that would attractive a ton of attention but since it's Emma and it's a normal thing for her — nobody bothered looking our way.

Jenna stumbled over her own feet as she made her way over to us. My eyes were glued to her as I stuffed a small spoon full of my chocolate pudding into my mouth. Madison wrapped her arm around my shoulders and posed for the picture she was taking. She tended to do that a lot — take pictures with us but it only recently started this year. I'm sure she just wants to collect memories of our senior year together. Most of us are sure we won't be around each other like we are now once high school ends. We all have plans for our future and college — I just haven't determined which one I wanted more of.

"Hi." Jenna muttered to me when she took Madison's old spot on the left side of me. I glanced at her and gave her a nod.

"How's your first day so far?" My words seem to come as a shock to the smaller girl who stutters at first but she finally gets her shit together as soon as I crossed my arms, uninterested in her wasting my time.

"I-It's been okay. So far." She mumbled and played with her food but her eyes never left mine. Yeah, she's definitely a cutie. "I know it's n-not your first day, but how is your day so f-far?" I smiled internally at the effect I had on her.

"Oh, you know..." I trailed off and smirked slightly, the expression was noticeable to her and I could see the sparkle in her eyes when she saw it. "It's been normal." I grumbled and stole one of her Doritos, popping it in my mouth with a wink thrown her way before I stood up and wandered over to the vending machine for a soda.

"I like her." Lance's voice started me slightly. They stood beside me as they glanced between me and Jenna. "Don't play with her feelings, Y/n, it's clear she's into you. You make her nervous but excited." I knew what they were referring to by "don't play with her feelings" and I wouldn't with this cute, shy girl.

"Don't worry." I looked at them as I reached down and grabbed my Dr. Pepper. "She's too cute and innocent to fuck over." I shrugged playfully to which Lance shoved me with a smirk and a joking roll of their eyes. We both shared a laugh before walking back to the tables. Emma slid me a chocolate bar since it was my favorite and I usually pay for them since she sells them around the school but all of our friends get them for free.

We exchanged words the entire lunch period, Jenna fiddled with her fingers under the table most of the time. I could tell she was nervous and shy — especially when Emma was questioning her like crazy, just trying to get to know her. Sensing how nervous she was and the way her hands were shaking, I gently reached for them under the table. Taking them in mine, I saw Jenna look at me through the corner of my eye but I said nothing nor looked at her as I placed our conjoined hands in my lap. I rubbed my thumb over her knuckles to calm her down.

When the bell off lunch rang, we discussed the classes Jenna had and the only one we all shared together with her was first period but other than that, I was the only one who had the rest of the day with her together. We said goodbye to our friends and I kept ahold of Jenna's hand while leading her to the gym into the locker room, luckily her locker was just two away from mine so she didn't need to freak about being too far from me.

"Since you don't have clothes yet, just wear my extras." I spoke and dug into my backpack, pulling out a black pair of basketball shorts and a simple grey shirt. She was a little smaller than me so it would fit her like a glove. Jenna thanked me quietly and we both changed in silence. Exiting the locker room, I kept her in my side. Most of the boys here would jump on her bones the minute they realize she's new and looks like such an innocent, little bunny.

"Thank you." I hear the smaller girl mutter to me when we sit in the bleachers, waiting for our teacher's instructions.

"For what?" I slid one of my beaded bracelets into her wrist.

"For helping me during lunch, and today too." She bowed her head down as she stared at her lap before glancing at the bracelet I gave her. "What's that for?"

"When you feel anxious, just fiddle with it." I shrugged as I slid one more onto her other wrist, her now having a bracelet on each arm. "I do it all the time, it's a nice distraction from the anxiety or nervousness."

Jenna met my eyes, her doe, brown eyes had a little twinkle in them. It looked like admiration. "Oh. Thank you very much." She muttered softly. A slight smile formed on my face as I wrapped my protectively around her shoulders.

"No problem, nerd." I ruffled her hair a little and she giggled in response. Mhm, definitely a cutie.