Ch. 5

It was thanksgiving morning and Miranda did her usual routine of washing up before she grabbed her dress and leggings. Ben was so nice to allow her to get under clothes and other things she needed to keep herself up. Once she was done getting dressed she walked out the door and over to Ben's place.

He had been prepping for dinner the night before and she offered to come help him however she could. Miranda knocked on the front door and within seconds Ben answered.

"Hey pretty lady come on in," Ben said which made Miranda blush.

"Happy Thanksgiving," Miranda said following Ben to the kitchen.

"So I already did most of the prepping now it's just to cook everything. My dad and brother will be here by 2pm."

Ben and Miranda moved around the kitchen with ease cooking and talking. Miranda smiled to herself because it felt nice to converse with someone and to be in a home for the holidays.

"Ben when we first talked you mentioned wanting to revive this neighborhood."

"Yeah, I just remember how great the neighborhood was and it felt like a family. I just want to do whatever it takes to bring this thriving black neighborhood in Seattle back to its former glory. I know that it will be a lot of work but I'm willing."

"I think you can do it, I believe in you."

"We haven't talked much about your life before now. Do you miss being a surgeon?"

Miranda stirred the cake batter before pouring it into the pan.  "I think I've been trying so hard to survive and be in my right mind that I haven't really stopped to think about it. But meeting you has stirred that part of me."

Miranda was setting the table when there was a knock on the door Ben went to answer it.

"Dad!" Ben said and suddenly Miranda felt nervous and sad. She missed her parents and wished she could see them.

When James walked in Miranda noticed that Ben was the spitting image of his father. She imagined that this is how he would look once he was older.

"Hi! I'm James Warren, Ben's dad."

"I'm Miranda Bailey," Miranda answered as she shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, how do you know my son?"

"Well she doesn't live too far from here and her family lives on the East coast," Ben interjected.

"Once he found out about that he invited me to have thanksgiving with you all."

"Sounds like something Benji would do. Just like mom, he knows no stranger," a younger man said walking in behind him.

"Miranda this is my brother Curtis."

"Nice to meet you Curtis," Miranda smiled politely.

They finally sat down to eat dinner and as they were eating James asked a question.

"So, it's thanksgiving. What are you thankful for?"

"I'll go first, I'm thankful for new friends and family," Ben said.

"I'm thankful that my brother is a good cook," Curtis said making everyone laugh.

James looked at Miranda, "Ummm I'm thankful for people with kind and giving hearts," she said looking at Ben.

"I'm thankful to have my sons with me and a new friend to share the holidays with," James said.

They ate and sat around talking and watching football. Miranda slipped away to clean the kitchen and Ben noticed. He came behind her a few minutes later and found her cleaning up the kitchen.