ALTERNATE ENDING

HARLEY PACED the hospital waiting room anxiously. her hair was a mess from the amount of times she had ran her hands through it pretending like her hair was what was bothering her. not her boyfriend on life support. they wouldn't let her in the room because they had to do emergency surgery on dallas but she couldn't bare to just stand outside and do nothing.

"harley try to just sit down, take a breath." darry tried, but no matter how calm his tone was he knew it was no use. harley wasn't going to sit down, not until they let her in. it had been a couple hours since they left the race. enough time for the whole outfit to find themselves at the hospital with harley. enough time for the doctors to fix him up she hoped.

"the family of dallas winston?" a voice said and the room stilled. harley spun around and froze in her tracks. this was it, this nurse knew whether he had lived or died.

"y-yeah." harley tried to say, but it came out as more of a whisper.

"he's out of surgery you may see him now. one at a time please." the nurse said scanning the group of teenagers.

harley let out a breath as tears clouded her vision. he was alive. she turned to the gang who all gave her an approving nod to go first and she followed the nurse to a small room.

harley's breath hitched as her eyes landed on the boy. he was breathing, but he was connected by many chords and he looked awful pail. "dally.." she said softly approaching the bed, placing her hand on his.

the boy opened his eyes carefully a small smile attempting to cross his face. "i guess i did need good luck after all."

the girl attempted to laugh but tears poured down her face. "you're okay?" she cried kneeling by the bed resting her head on their joined hands.

"im okay baby." he said leaning his head forward to rest on hers. "you wanna know what i realized today? before the gunshot."

"hmm" she hummed looking up to meet his eyes.

"i'm in love with you harley valentine."

the girl looked up a smile crossing her face. "im in love with you too dallas winston."

THREE YEARS LATER

harley was never a good runner. that was made evident anytime she would attempt to steal something from varsity track star ponyboy curtis. but today harley was running as fast as she could. she had a 12-3pm class, and now she had the most important moment of her life. her feet slid across the wood floor of the dorm building as she stopped infront of her door sliding the key in the lock. she giggled when she noticed the lump in her bed.

"why did i know you would be asleep on a day as important as today." she said ripping the covers off the bed.

"im not asleep!" dally claimed throwing his hands in the air as the two erupted into laughter.

"you better not be a liar too, ill start having second thoughts!" harley teased as she fished the white sundress from her closet.

"you love me too much!" dally countered grabbing the button up he had slung on harley's desk chair.

"maybe i do." she smiled dropping her hair from her ponytail, letting it flow over her shoulders.

she sat down on the bed to put on her shoes glancing at the pictures taped to her wall. the polaroid from her 18th birthday feeling like forever ago. now she was in school, on track to become a paramedic. dally got a job too, working at a stable teaching kids to ride horses. he claimed to not like kids but harley always noticed his smile when he came home to say how proud he was of his students.