Chapter 7

Kabir sat at his desk, surrounded by a piles of papers and documents, his brow furrowed in deep concentration. Despite his efforts to focus on his work, his mind kept wandering back to the events of the past days—the recent argument with someone, the mounting pressure from his family, and the pending business matters.

He tried to concentrate on the words he was typing, but the tension with his family weighed heavily on his mind. "Kabir beta, have you given any more thought to settling down?" his grandma's gentle inquiry interrupts his thoughts, filled with concern and a hint of urgency. Kabir's shoulders tense at the familiar question, a sigh escaping his lips as he braces himself for yet another round of persuasion.

"Dadi I already asked for some time to think about this. I don't want to discuss it now." he replies, his tone betraying a mixture of exhaustion and frustration. The recent argument with someone had put him in a sour mood, and he had no patience for further discussion on the matter. Before he can gather his thoughts, his cousin Arjun's voice chimes in, equally insistent. "But Kabir, it's high time you considered marriage. As you know after you only I can..." Kabir cuts him off, his patience waning. "I said not now, Arjun" he interjects, the strain evident in his voice.

The atmosphere in the room grows tense, each member of Kabir's family acutely aware of his restrained demeanor. Though they mean well, their persistent inquiries about his marriage prospects only seem to worsen Kabir's inner turmoil. Kabir feels the weight of their expectations pressing down on him.

His mind, already preoccupied with recent events, struggles to find peace amidst the familial chatter. Despite his efforts to maintain composure, the mounting pressure threatens to overwhelm him. With a heavy heart, Kabir quietly gathers his belongings, the weight of his worries pulling him deeper into introspection.

A knock on the door broke the silence. He granted permission to enter, and his secretary stepped in. "Sir, you have a meeting in half an hour with Mr. Ahuja in the conference room," she informed him. Kabir nodded in acknowledgement, adding to his already stressed morning.

After carefully going over the meeting plans, Kabir made sure he didn't miss a single detail. Checking the time, he quickly gathered his files and pendrive, making sure everything was set for the important presentation. The client they were meeting was known for being tough to impress, so Kabir was extra cautious to avoid any mistakes. Feeling the pressure mounting, he hurried to the meeting room, determined to ace the discussion ahead.

The room, a pristine environment of sleek desk and bustling employees, served as the backdrop for Kabir's current state of mind. As he sat in the conference room, the sterile walls seemed to close in on him, amplifying the weight of his mounting concerns. The hum of the air conditioner provided a stark contrast to the inner chaos swirling in his head.

Amidst this backdrop, Mr. Ahuja, with his imposing presence and sharp gaze, entered the room. His demeanor exuded an air of authority, his every movement calculated and purposeful. Mr. Ahuja was known for his no-nonsense approach to business, but also for his penchant for prying into the personal lives of his associates.

"Ah, Kabir, punctual as always," Mr. Ahuja remarked, his tone clipped and businesslike. "I must say, your punctuality is commendable."

Not long after Mr. Ahuja settled down, the meeting started. As the discussion progressed, Kabir found himself gaining confidence with each passing moment. The presentation flowed smoothly, and Mr. Ahuja's reactions appeared positive, suggesting a potential deal on the horizon. Kabir's earlier anxieties began to fade as he immersed himself in the task at hand, resolved to secure the agreement.

However, as the meeting drew to a close and pleasantries were exchanged, Mr. Ahuja's tone took a subtle shift. "Impressive presentation, Kabir. You seem to have everything under control," Mr. Ahuja remarked, his tone casual but his eyes scrutinizing Kabir intently.

Kabir forced a polite smile, though he couldn't shake the feeling of unease creeping into his mind. "Thank you, Mr. Ahuja. I'm glad you found it satisfactory," he replied, his voice tinged with a hint of reservation.

Mr. Ahuja leaned back in his chair, a faint smirk playing on his lips. "Indeed. It's commendable, especially considering your... circumstances," he added cryptically, his gaze lingering on Kabir's face.

Internally, Kabir bristled at the insinuation, his jaw tensing with suppressed frustration. "My circumstances?" he echoed, his tone carefully neutral, though a flicker of annoyance betrayed his facade.

"Yes, your circumstances," Mr. Ahuja remarked, his tone laced with a subtle edge. "You know, being unmarried at your age. It's quite unusual in our line of work," he continued, his words carrying a hint of condescension.

Kabir's jaw clenched, his expression tightening as Mr. Ahuja's words sunk in. The insinuation pricked at him, stirring a blend of frustration and indignation. Seated before him was Mr. Ahuja, a figure of traditional values and advanced age, subtly delving into Kabir's personal affairs in the presence of his subordinates. It unsettled Kabir, a discomfort gnawing at him as his boundaries were breached without consent.

Kabir's grip tightened on the edge of the table, his patience wearing thin. "Mr. Ahuja, while I appreciate your concern, I believe our focus should remain on the matter at hand – our business objectives. Personal matters are best left outside the boardroom." he retorted, his tone firm and decisive.

With a dismissive wave of his hand, Mr. Ahuja offered a nonchalant shrug. "Of course, of course. Just an observation," he remarked casually, though the underlying implication lingered in the air like an unspoken challenge.

As Kabir bid farewell to Mr. Ahuja and made his way out of the conference room, the weight of their exchange hung heavy on his mind. Despite his outward composure, inwardly he grappled with a whirlwind of emotions, each one racing for his attention in the wake of Mr. Ahuja's subtle taunt.

In the hallway, the weight of their exchange hung heavy on Kabir's mind. The subtle yet pointed taunt had struck a nerve, forcing him to confront the expectations of his family and colleagues head-on. With each step, Kabir knew he was inching closer to a decision that would shape not only his future but also his sense of self.

"Raah mein mushkil ho toh manzil bhi musafir, 

Har mod pe ek naya sawaal, ek naya safar. 

Dil ka dard chhupana hai, chhupa ke rakhna, 

Samandar ke sahil pe, kinaro ka izhaar."

Hey there, Amigos!

Hey there, Amigos!

How's everyone hanging? Long time no see, huh? I know, I know. Well, what can I say? I've been MIA for a bit. Turns out, I wasn't feeling well for a while. Doc prescribed some meds and a whole lot of rest, but guess who's back in action now? Yours truly! I promise to be more regular with the updates from now on.

I wanna hear all your juicy thoughts and opinions. Slide into my inbox with your votes and comments!

Oh, and drumroll, please! The next chapter is where our leads finally cross paths! 🎉🎉🎉

Now, let's talk about Mr. Ahuja. Any thoughts about him? And what about my shayaris, huh? Are my shayaris not hitting the mark? 😢

Alrighty, folks, signing off for now!

Catch you on the flip side,

amateurwrts