⁹ zero

It had been five days and my period had finally stopped. Those few days were crummy, to say the least. I had constant mood swings, Mom refused to give me any sort of aid for my cramps and I was just downright uncomfortable.

I lost my temper more than once and nearly killed Mom when he said that my cramps 'can't be that bad.' I could barely stand up on a bad day.

I woke up the morning after it left, and I was much happier. "Morning," I smiled at the boys as we were all getting ready for the day. They gave me a few weird looks, probably because I threatened to bury them alive yesterday, but that was then. And in my defence, X-ray took my jello at dinner.

"Sorry about the past couple days. I wasn't feeling too great. It wasn't fair to take it out on you guys... Though sometimes you did deserve it..." I apologised as we exited the tent.

"S'alright, Ladybird." They forgave me. Squid slung an arm around me and said. "So, you're feeling better? Not gonna bury any of us alive?"

I laughed, "I'm better, no more stomach aches. But I might still bury one of yous. Depends if you piss me off enough."

Breakfast was the same as usual and when the water truck left in the morning, I began to sing. Not the best noise in the world, but I was happy. The day was ever so slightly cooler and I'd gotten a pair of gloves to wear while I dug, so no more blisters would cover my hands.

'Crossroads' had played on the radio again last night and it was stuck in my head, so I'd been singing it for the last hour or so. Squid and Zigzag were digging on either side of me and I could tell they were becoming annoyed.

"I'll see you at the crossroads, crossroads, crossroads... OW!" Someone had launched their empty canteen at me. "The fuck was that for?" I lifted the plastic container up and it read 'Barfbag'. I launched it back at him, and it missed his right shoulder by a centimeter or two.

"Damn it." I grumbled. I was silent for a while, but then I started singing quietly to myself again. "Ladybird, I swear if you don't stop singing that damn song, I'm gonna hit you with a shovel!" Zigzag yelled.

"Jeez sorry..." I replied feebly. I genuinely couldn't help it, I was in a good mood for the first time in almost a week. I finished digging in silence just before Mr Sir arrived with lunch, I took my share of food and went back to camp, eating as I walked.

I was felt bad for annoying them, but I'm sure they'd all forgotten about it by now. After showering, because no one else was around so I deemed it was safe to, I flopped on my flimsy bed and wrote to my mum.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I heard was everyone entering the tent. "Hiii..." I groaned, rolling into my back, pulling a sheet of paper off my face. "Hi," Squid said along with the others. "Have a nice nap?"

I shook my head. "No, a pen was digging into my stomach and I couldn't be bothered moving it." He chuckled a little, then took my hand in his, pulling my upright. I screwed up my face, the sun practically blinding me as we all went to the showers. My hair had already dried and stepping out into the blistering heat I felt like I needed to shower again.

The guys all showered as I washed their canteens for them, getting rid of all the dirt build-up. After dinner that night, Squid and I were in the tent, he was sat watching me as I tidied up.