Chapter 7

~

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"Hey, good morning sweetheart!"

A soft hand ran through my hair, then stopped on my shoulder, giving it a soft shake. "It's time to get up, the sun is already smiling. I made breakfast, wake up."

I cracked an eye open.

An auburn-haired woman beamed above me. Her blue eyes sparkled through the hazy yellow rays of the morning sun.

I pulled the blanket over my head. "Come on, it's Sunday," I grumbled.

"Come on?" the woman repeated. "I don't know what on earth you're talking about. You gotta hurry, we're burning daylight here."

I felt a soft pinch on my knee, making me recoil with a shriek. "Mom!" I threw down my blanket and sat up.

Mom grinned, crossing her arms in front of her. She smirked, "I guess you've forgotten what today is?"

I frowned for a split second, then I looked up. "Manhattan!" I jumped to my feet. "We're definitely renting a speedboat."

"Ah ah, no we're not," Mom corrected. "We will be safely on the shore, watching the boats."

I put on a fake pout. "You promised."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did I?"

I snatched my phone from across the room and whirled back toward her, grinning. "I have video proof."

Mom smothered a smile, then jumped toward me

I cried out, diving out of her path, and rolled across the bed, putting it between us. I waved the phone teasingly.

She simply lowered her head and smirked, looking intimidating.

"No . . ." I warned, "Mom . . ."

She dropped the facade and shrugged, smiling. "Alright, alright. Let's just go eat." She walked out of my room and I followed her.

"You'll see," I said, "as soon as we're out on the open water, the wind blowing around us—"

She snatched the phone from my hand.

"Hey!" I cried, "No fair!"

Mom handed it back, smirking. "Gotcha."

I smiled back.

I jerked awake.

Cold air hung around me. A worn quilt slipped to the floor as I sat up.

The memory slowly faded, leaving a hollowness in my heart. My surroundings settled around me. The cabin was just the same as the night before, but now bathed in dark blue instead of pitch black, allowing the furnishings to be visible. The sun had yet to break over the trees.