Chapter 4

A few hours earlier . . .

Grey replaced the empty cardboard packaging with a new, full box of candy bars. That wasn't the last one. He still had half the store to restock. It would take him until one a.m. to finish, he estimated. It was easy, mindless work.

Which left his head free to ponder other things.

And he couldn't stop thinking about the girl, Lyre.

He couldn't figure her out.

Was she a runaway? A fugitive? Or a ruthless murderer?

She'd seemed practically harmless when they'd first met. A little jumpy, scared, not unlike any other teenager running from home. Unfortunately, some kids were just born into rough families.

Quite a few runaways had passed through these parts over the years. A few had actually told him about their situations. Abusive parent, neglectful guardian, overcrowded foster.

Grey had raised a few kids of his own, now grown up and moved out. He was proud to say he had a good relationship with every one of them. But he never could have done it without the love of his life, Marissa.

Who happened to be away at the moment, with their youngest kid, who'd broken his leg snowboarding. Again. At least he didn't have to worry about classes, he'd just finished college that year. Grey wanted to be there now for his son, but there wasn't anyone else to run the gas station, and it was their main source of income.

Grey finished with the candy aisle and picked up the empty boxes to take to the dumpster out back.

The cold wind tugged at his jacket and froze his nose as soon as he opened the door. He tossed the boxes, they almost flew from the dumpster, but he slammed the lid.

Grey couldn't help but think of the girl again.

She was probably out in the cold. She'd be in Worther by now if she walked all day. Hopefully, they had the cold shelters open. It sure seemed cold enough to him for it.

But he knew she probably wouldn't go to one. She'd want to stay away from people as much as possible. Could've been why she kept such a distance from him.

Not for her safety, but his.

Because she was scared she'd hurt him.

Grey knew Lyre wasn't a criminal. She was a victim.

He knew because someone very close to him had once manifested strange powers. There'd been no one to help her. And now she was gone. Disappeared without a trace.

Grey knew the government had gotten her. Most likely locked her away forever. Or put her down.

And now the entire country was searching for a murderer. One they thought was Lyre.

She'd be dead as soon as she stepped foot into Worther.

Grey couldn't let that happen.

Not again.

He stormed back inside and grabbed his keys.

Then he left for Worther.