Something to Lose

Start from the beginning

“You are going to clean this off by the time I return from my meeting.” he ordered before leaving the room. I fell backwards, coughing and feeling light-headed.

‘Can we leave today instead?’ I asked Liz, knowing full well that she couldn’t answer.

I made up my mind before bandaging myself and changing my clothes before leaving the room, going straight to the Alpha’s room to see his shoes placed outside his door.

I took the shoes and went to the laundry room to do the laundry as well as cleaning his shoes because I learnt a long time ago that if I didn’t complete a task that would mean that I was dead.

***

I breathed out a sigh as I closed my door, locking it. Today was a very tiring day as I had to do my chores as well as avoid my mate who was apparently looking for me which warmed my heart.

My mate was a very tall guy with chocolate brown hair and sparkling yellow eyes which shined beautifully in the light.

As you could probably tell, I took my time admiring him, while hiding in the closet almost no one knew existed.

He looked intimidating but still managed to lure me in. Was this what they called ‘The Mate Bond’?

‘Indeed it is,’ Liz spoke up and I rolled my eyes. Now that I had eaten something, she had come out.

‘Are we ready to leave? Did you pack everything we would need?’ she asked me and I replied with a nod.

‘Now all we need to do is form a plan on how we are going to get past all the security,’ I told her and saw her nod.

We discussed for 30 minutes or so before finally leaving the room. Our plan was to run in human form through the woods before reaching the river nearby and getting ourselves wet to get rid of our scent for a while.

Then, shifting and making a run for it towards the border. Once across the border, just keep running without looking back, no matter what.

I filled my bag with some food and then left the house, feeling myself getting nervous but soon felt better.

After running for what felt like an eternity, I finally reached the river and dived into it head first before shifting into my wolf.

I wet my fur before giving control to Liz who took our bag in her mouth and made a run for it. I hadn’t let her out in forever so now that she was free, she felt amazing as she zoomed through the forest and towards our freedom.

After running for half an hour, we finally made it near the border where we saw several guards on patrol. It was going to be a challenge getting past them.

We decided that it was best to wait for a while and hid in the bushes before shifting back into human form.

After about 15 minutes of waiting, it was time for the patrol swap. That was the perfect opportunity for us to make a beeline for the border.

I shifted into my wolf before running towards the border and crossing it as fast as I could. I felt all the ties I had with the pack, break and it honestly felt refreshing.

I felt like all my worries had faded away and I let a small smile break out onto my face.

I ran and ran and ran without sparing a glance behind me.

This was a new beginning for me. I was leaving behind the life I had always known.

Then, it finally set in, ‘I escaped. Oh god, I really escaped! I can’t believe it!’

‘Yeah, yeah, I get it. Now stop shouting and find a place to stay for the night,’ Liz said which made me stop, even though I wanted to shout some more.