The Irrational Cube

Jaymes

Theano's explanation of the golden cube was beyond anything Jaymes was expecting when the "Curse of Stachion" quest took this crazy turn. That's not to say it wasn't usual for the SAO official release's quests to differ from the SAO beta's...but this one shouldn't have continued in the logical sense. In RPGs where NPCs could die, that result forfeited further progression of their associated series of quests. The other possibility should have been a respawn of Cylon, allowing future adventurers the ability to take on the quest while those who weren't around to witness Cylon die continued on their respective instance -- treating the moment Cylon died as an effect only on Jaymes' party. MMOs typically took the third route, making NPCs invincible so neither of the above sequences occur.

But, as typical of Sword Art Online, nothing was as one expected, the golden cube's origins included.

It belonged not to the creature as Jaymes predicted, but as part of the creature that lurked in the tower. Pithagrus, long ago when Stachion was a small village, removed the cube from the creature and took it home. The cube's power grew the village into the town that it was today, minus looking like it was built cube by cube.

In its inert state, the guardian within the tower is protected by a barrier and cannot be harmed. Therefore, as Theano put it, returning the cube to the boss benefitted the adventurers as well.

When Theano said that, Jaymes and Mito turned to each, hiding their shock much better than Argo and Kirito. That piece of information explained everything. The "Curse of Stachion" was already modified to fit the ending. The golden cube would have been returned if progress occurred normally. Cylon's death, unforeseen by the powers to be, created a second scenario to deliver the cube to the tower.

The beta's version of the boss was a giant, multicolored cube with limbs. Hitting it would move a row or column of cubes ninety degrees, much as one does to solve a Rubik's cube. Once the colors were matched, the squares would fall apart and reveal the vulnerable core. Mito and Kirito's recount was good and all, but even they were expecting something different. With the boss' origins changed, the fight itself might be brand new.

When it was said and done, Theano agreed to fight with Myia and her allies. Kirito charged Jaymes to deliver the news to Lind and Kibaou's groups when they arrived. He removed his weapons from his back and took a seat on the lowest step.

"Hey, Jaymes... I've got a favor to ask. Until now, you've been supporting the front with the boss hunt. If...I don't return...I want you to continue the fighting... I leave the rest to you."

That was five nights ago, on New Year's Eve, and the final wish of Diavel the knight. He hadn't pondered what that wish meant in the battle against Fuscus, but now that they'd made it to the next boss, it slammed down on his shoulders. Diavel didn't entrust Lind or Kibaou, the current guild leaders, but someone who was a solo player to lead them all. He was barely holding it together keeping himself and his friends alive, with Kirito being the de facto leader because he knew more than Jaymes did.

Yet Kirito, Asuna, Mito, and Koharu believed he could be a leader, and now Diavel put that burden on him.

Let's say he accepted the burden: what would he do? Forming his own guild as a third force was out the question. That came with too much trouble and too many personalities to manage. People more responsible than him make great guild leaders. Jaymes barely managed himself -- add twenty more people, he'd go crazy.

In the future, whether as captain of a popular squadron in GGO or as the emperor of the Dark Territory, he was sure his past self cursed himself out. Koharu definitely got a kick out of reminding him that he strongly proclaimed against leading a group, never mind a nation.