Chapter 18: Fractures

Start from the beginning

He was done.

It wasn't enough that they ostracized him his entire life but now they were setting him up for failure. They were unaware of Naruto's hidden strengths; they believed in the mediocre results in his genin files. They believed him to be a weak and inept shinobi. They wanted to keep him weak and malleable - perpetually stagnated in the rank of genin.

Naruto lifted his tired gaze and stared wearily at Uchiha.

The exam proctor lowered his hand, signifying the beginning of the match. Uchiha leaped back, putting a few meters of space between them. His expression was wary and his dark eyes were cautious as he gazed at him in a calculating manner.

A bone deep weariness spread through his Naruto's body and his heart solidified in a final resolve.

He wanted to be alone.

The blond genin lifted his arm up in a tired and slow motion, shocking everyone in the stands. His voice rang clear through the arena as he stared at his opponent with an indifferent expression and cold cerulean eyes.

"I forfeit."

The silence that permeated through the arena was deafening. Uchiha Sasuke reeled back in shock and his dark eyes widened in disbelief. The words ran through his mind in an endless cyclical loop - I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit - and he blinked in utter bewilderment.

What?

Sasuke glared at his blond teammate in confusion and betrayal. What the hell?  Uzumaki was gazing at him with a sense of finality. His expression was resolute and resigned.

The blond looked different. He was standing a few meters from him but he felt so far away. Sasuke scowled angrily, ignoring the hurt feeling building up in his chest at the rejection. He had been excited when he was matched up with his enigmatic teammate.

He had always wanted to spar with him but Uzumaki had ignored his attempts and now he was forfeiting.

Does he think I'm not worth a fight?

The exam proctor cleared his throat awkwardly and released a rattled cough. He pronounced Sasuke as the winner and the pale genin ignored his announcement.

"What the hell Uzumaki?" Sasuke spat angrily.

Uzumaki moved his hands in a fast seal and created an impeccable clone. The clone materialized next to him and it turned on its heel and leaped up to the stands. It stood in the corner away from all the contestants and leaned back against the wall with an air of indifference.

Uzumaki turned away from his enraged gaze dismissively. He moved through the wide arena and made his way to the exit doors. He paused in his steps and looked over his shoulder with a detached gaze.

"I don't owe you an explanation Uchiha." He spoke. "I don't owe you anything."